Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Exclamation epub to azw3 looses h3 level in toc

I have a well formed epub that has three heading levels (h1, h2, h3). The epub contains a logical table of contents in a toc.ncx file including all three levels. When I convert the file to azw3 with all the settings in default, the logical toc when viewed on the kindle only shows headings h1 and h2. When viewing the azw3 using the calibre viewer, all three headings are visible in the logical toc. (meaning I can click on the first h1 level and it shows all h2 levels under it. Then I can click on an h2 level and it shows all the h3 levels under it)

My question is, does anyone know if this is just a hard limitation on the Kindle device(i.e. only showing 2 levels in the logical toc), or if I am doing something wrong when I convert it.

Interestingly, the Kindle does recognize the h3 levels as chapters when calculating amount of time left to read the chapter and also in the "swipe up" navigation.

Please see attached screen shots.

As always, thanks to everyone who works on this project, and apoligies in advance it this has been covered somewhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18-09-22 11_05_38-Numbered Collection 1 beta (mod008) [KF8] - E-book viewer.png
Views:	244
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	166434   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2018_09_22T11_00_10-0500.png
Views:	258
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	166435  
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah IIRC the kindle firmware supports a max of two levels in the toc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Thanks!

Anyone know if any of the newer kindle formats support deeper levels? It's strange because the kindle previewer from Amazon shows all three levels.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
Thanks!

Anyone know if any of the newer kindle formats support deeper levels? It's strange because the kindle previewer from Amazon shows all three levels.
Not that unusual
I have formatted dropcaps.
They look good in Calibre, Good in the previewer, and they sometimes ignore the embedded font, fail to use italic on my K4 NT
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, table of contents, toc