Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Download of e-book is an acsm file

I attempted to download an e-book from my library and in my downloads folder there is a file with the name URLLink-2.acsm. I thought I was downloading a PDF file, at least that's what I request.

And apparently I downloaded the book successfully. Or at least I checked it out successfully.

But the only thing in my downloads folder is the acsm file. In fact there are several probably due to my multiple attempts to download books. Is it a link to the e-book?

I'm still a novice to the e-book world, and would appreciate any help. With trial and error I figured out how to read PDF files on my old Kobo Vox, so if I can successfully download a PDF file to my SD card I can open it with Moon + Reader.
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The ACSM file is a "ticket" allowing you to download the DRM'd book with Adobe Digital Editions. You need Adobe Digital Editions installed and authorized with an Adobe ID (not technically required, but recommended), ADE then uses the ACSM ticket as an authorization when talking with the DRM servers in order to download a copy of the book encrypted to you're Adobe ID.

If wanting to read it on your Vox another option might be to download the EBSCO eBooks app and access it this way, provided the app is compatible with that old of an Android version. (not sure about the app, I just see it mentioned in your screen shot).

EDIT: Here's the MR wiki page on ACSM, which may explain better...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Acsm

Note: If you think you might want to remove DRM from purchased books (ePub. PDF) with Adobe DRM in the future it's recommended that you stick with ADE 2.0.1 and not one of the newer version.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Thank you so much. I previously attempted to use Adobe Digital Editions and learned that my old Kobo is not compatible. So I'll use the EBSCO reader if it works. I was able to download it but I'll need a key to read any e-books.

johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote