Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #196
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
I have not updated the firmware and I experience the same battery depletion as the rest of you, which is about 3-4 weeks before I have to re-charge the reader again. The only difference is that I don't have this bug with power meter. So, I believe the new firmware didn't mess this particular aspect of the reader.
I have not upgraded the firmware and my reader exhibits exactly the same behaviour.
I read every day for about an hour and I have to charge it every 2-3 weeks. No matter how many pages I read.
Sometimes my Reader goes from 3 bars to 2 bars and in two days it refuses to start - the battery is drained.
Not that it is a problem for me, I just say that the firmware "upgrade" did not screw the battery behaviour, just the battery meter after charge.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #197
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
This is probably a good point to re-mention that the PSP chargers will charge the Reader quite handily -- they're cheaper than the Reader chargers, and more widely available too.
Just before my Reader arived here - in Europe - I went to the SONY store to have a look at the prices for PSP charger.
The price was BLOODY INSANE!

You can buy much fancier switching power source from a reliable manufacturer at a *fraction* of the price here.
Advert
Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #198
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sony is not the only company that sells PSP chargers -- try a game store, they're $12~15 there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #199
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Sony is not the only company that sells PSP chargers -- try a game store, they're $12~15 there.
Well, what *I* was offered in an official SONY store here was more like $70.
The problem is, there is very small market for PSP accesories in my country (Central Europe)
I haven't even seen an actual physical psp here. Not that I was looking for it ;-) . I am definitely not going to visit the official SONY store anytime soon. Until very recently I was actively avoiding SONY products.
I caved in because I wanted to get an e-ink device and the Iliad was tad expensive for me . And the e-ink screen is the only thing I like about the Reader.

It is a shame that walkbook has became available only very recently here in Europe.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #200
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, what *I* was offered in an official SONY store here was more like $70.
I'd say that qualifies as "insane" too, kacir.

I'm guessing you didn't buy it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #201
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I'd say that qualifies as "insane" too, kacir.

I'm guessing you didn't buy it.
I bought an "European" power cord for the original Reader charger for slightly less than $2 ;-)
Then I made an artificial load (fancy name for a resistor ;-)) for power source and measured if it gives desired output. Then I measured if there is no "leak" current against ground. Finaly I said a short prayer and connected the Reader. The power source has been working happily ever after.
The reason for being so careful is that I am quite far from the nearest place where I can claim warranty for my Reader.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I bought an "European" power cord for the original Reader charger for slightly less than $2 ;-)
Then I made an artificial load (fancy name for a resistor ;-)) for power source and measured if it gives desired output. Then I measured if there is no "leak" current against ground. Finally I said a short prayer and connected the Reader. The power source has been working happily ever after.
The reason for being so careful is that I am quite far from the nearest place where I can claim warranty for my Reader.
The Reader's power adapter supports 100-240V 50/60. So all you'd need is a plug converter to convert to whatever plug type you use. Why would you need to make an artificial load for the Reader's power adapter?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 AM   #203
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
3rd party chargers for the PSP are about £10 here. I recently bought one in a game store for my Reader. Works great!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 AM   #204
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Reader's power adapter supports 100-240V 50/60. So all you'd need is a plug converter to convert to whatever plug type you use.
Exactly what I have done.

HarryT
Why did you buy charger instead of plug converter? (I am just curious, maybe I am missing out something).
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #205
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Reader's power adapter supports 100-240V 50/60. So all you'd need is a plug converter to convert to whatever plug type you use. Why would you need to make an artificial load for the Reader's power adapter?
You do not need a plug converter.
You simply buy a new power cord that plugs into the Readed power adapter instead of Americam power cord. The socket on the adapter is standard so there is no problem to buy a power cord. A new power cord is cheaper and smaller to carry

I have made an artificial load in order to make 100% sure the adapter works like it says on the label it does. There have been reports on this forum about adapters that hum slightly during use. There have also been reports that some adapters have tension against ground. I just wanted to test it thoroughly. That is it.

It works great ever since.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #206
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Exactly what I have done.

HarryT
Why did you buy charger instead of plug converter? (I am just curious, maybe I am missing out something).
So I could have a charger at work as well as one at home. Just wanted a "spare". I use the one that came with the Reader at home.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 AM   #207
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So I could have a charger at work as well as one at home. Just wanted a "spare". I use the one that came with the Reader at home.
Oh, I see
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #208
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Really Fix The Battery Bug??

After being away for 3 weeks where there was no access to mobileread.com, I tried to catch up. I saw two things about the battery bug that were of interest. One the workaround by SONY "The battery meter does not seem to register..." and a suggestion for a fix that may have required the use of the flasher. Question: Is the only FIX until Sony fixes the problem, using the flasher and changing ebook.so?"
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #209
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
After being away for 3 weeks where there was no access to mobileread.com, I tried to catch up. I saw two things about the battery bug that were of interest. One the workaround by SONY "The battery meter does not seem to register..." and a suggestion for a fix that may have required the use of the flasher. Question: Is the only FIX until Sony fixes the problem, using the flasher and changing ebook.so?"
I just updated that file (as you saw in the Flasher thread), and it appears it worked! I had 3 bars before I started charging my Reader. After a charge, I now have 4 bars (rather than still 3 bars). Again, I won't 100% confirm it fixes the bug, but I'm pretty sure it does. Won't know for absolute sure until I do a full - FULL charge from 1 bar.

Anyway, yay!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #210
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
can't you just stick it to the USB-cord? (assuming that all geeks works at a IT-related business)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote