Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Did you see the new iRiver on their website?

Did you see the new iRiver on their website?

it's called iRiver "Cover Story":

http://www.iriver.com/product/view.asp?pCode=002&pNo=80

I like the "cover" idea
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Shame it's not 16 color. Nice compact design otherwise.
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
That is just the teeniest bit bigger than the Cybook Opus, but offers a 6" touch screen and Wifi. Exciting, depending on how good the firmware and format support is.

I can't tell from the pics or the website what kind of screen, though. Pics show both a stylus and finger usage, so taht implies a layer over the screen, rather than Wacom, but the pics also show really good contrast. Guess we'll have to wait for reviews.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Randal6393
Ebook Addict for ten year
Randal6393 is on a distinguished road

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Bebook Mini as lbook, Dell Axim Pocket PC
Looked it over and see a few pros:

-- It's touch screen and might make a great pocket notebook in addition to ereader. Something that I would love to have.

-- The addition of wireless means "no PC" needed. That appeals to me a lot, especially if I am not tied to a particular ebook store or source for my books.

The cons:

-- No price or production schedule = vaporware.

-- Speed of updating may be a major drawback?

Want to see it in the flesh -- but hope it is successful.

Enjoy,
Randal6393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

It is already available in South Korea, I think.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo mini
It's been available in South Korea since August 23rd, but they seem to have some problems (or just too much demand for it), at least with the Wifi version. The first batch was pretty much sold out as soon as you could order it, the second batch was supposed to be shipped out today, but I just checked the iRiver store and it seems to have disappeared altogether. As far as I know it's also already available in China.

Btw, iRiver will show the Cover Story at next weeks IFA in Berlin. So I guess it's pretty safe to say it'll find its way over to Germany and the UK like the first Story.
stesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Exciting, depending on how good the firmware and format support is.
  • eBook: PDF, EPUB, TXT, FB2, DJVU
  • Office Viewer: PPT, PPTx, XLS, XLSx, Doc, DOCx, HWP
  • Comics Viewer: Zip (JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF)
  • Audio: MP3, WMA, OGG
  • Battery: 1800mAh

Can't find anything about capacitive/resistive screen but did run across this unboxing post. Really not much in it but it's something.

http://stuff.tv/News/Unboxed-iriver-Cover-Story/14971/

Last edited by gastan; 08-27-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added content
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Wh Smith has it. Or an upgraded version of Story. Not sure. It looks to be the same to me...
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
tneken
tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Really nice looking device. I cant wait to hear the price. And that is one really impressive website imho.
tneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Geppetto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
Wh Smith has it. Or an upgraded version of Story. Not sure. It looks to be the same to me...
We are talking about the ONE with the stylus, ragazzo mio.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
Geppetto
Addict

There's a video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IylAax5JNLg

They're selling it at 150 pounds in UK this autumn.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
tneken
tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
They're selling it at 150 pounds in UK this autumn.
That seems to be a very fair price. Not as cheap as the Kindle, but on the other hand it supports epub. And it's still cheaper than importing a 200$ reader from the US because of the vat and duty, which you also have to pay for the insanly high shipping cost (45$ Astak). At that price it could very well be my first e-reader
tneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The form factor looks fine but... that's a mirror-a mirror which happens to read ebooks. Look at the pic where the bloke draws.

As well, I dislike the ultra-heavy editing the pictures have suffered. They seem to say "our marketing picture editors are better than our device"!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iriver Cover uses a touch layer. Well done Sony for selling off all the extra touch layers to iriver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneken View Post
Really nice looking device. I cant wait to hear the price. And that is one really impressive website imho.
I take it you're not referring to the Iriver site.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote