Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
librus38
Enthusiast
librus38 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Asus Eee Tablet: the end for the DR-900?

Hello
With the announcement of the Eee Tablet with an LCD screen (not color) aimed at the e-reader market, that this mean that Asus and given up on the DR-900 (e-ink screen)?
I personally hope not, but I am begging to feel that the company's offer to the e-reader market will be this LCD devise...

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...r_for_300.html
librus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
The SiPix "affair" speaks for itself. Ereaders-who-were-supposed-to-be-SiPix are dead and gone.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
librus38
Enthusiast
librus38 began at the beginning.

Device: none
It is a pity as the DR-900 with it's touch-screen and SD card slot would be a great rival to the current Kindle DX Graphite (that lacks both these characteristics)...
librus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
The DR900 was being demoed at the start of this year, it looked great and was supposed to be released in April. Then it all went quiet and then they said August but we're near the end of August now and still no word. Meanwhile they released news about this tablet and they spoke about an August delivery and a $200 price. Now it's October and $300.

I don't think I'll be holding my breath.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
The SiPix "affair" speaks for itself. Ereaders-who-were-supposed-to-be-SiPix are dead and gone.
It might be that there were a few unexpected problems with SiPix. My reader "bleeds", for example. If I leave it out, on keyboard lock, (which will replace the screen with an image), and in a light area (such as the livingroom), the text will have "bled" through the image. This isn't much of a problem, naturally, as when I want to continue reading, I remove the keyboard lock and the screen gets refreshed...

Though the clarity is better than on my e-ink, I wouldn't buy a SiPix again, at this point. At least not until I'm certain that it is not a SiPix problem but something isolated...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Couldn't they just refresh the screen every 20 mins even in "off" mode. Alternatively they could just make the screen go blank - sure I like seeing the screen saver images on my kindle but it's not a deal breaker.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Ack! I was really stoked on the DR 9xx models that Asus was recently demo'ed!!!

I might have to go back to shopping for an overpriced pocketbook.

I'm really liking the e-readers that are running linux-based operating systems.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
Ack! I was really stoked on the DR 9xx models that Asus was recently demo'ed!!!

I might have to go back to shopping for an overpriced pocketbook.

I'm really liking the e-readers that are running linux-based operating systems.
If you're looking for a linux-based reader, you might want to check out Pocketbook readers. Their software is linux-based. Actually some news about their new line of readers to be released later this year was released . You should check them out
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
If you're looking for a linux-based reader, you might want to check out Pocketbook readers. Their software is linux-based. Actually some news about their new line of readers to be released later this year was released . You should check them out
Yup, the PBs are exactly what I had in mind! I kind of feel like waiting to see what Pocketbook has up its sleeve this fall. Hopefully they won't be pushed out of the American market by the recent price wars, but respond with competitive pricing. I guess it's all vaporware until you see it for sale.

Still, the Asus would have been awesome!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
I have faith that PB will deliver. They've been in the ereader market for a few years now and from their section on mobileread they appear to have good customer reviews.

It's a pity that Asus's 900 has been vapourware up to this point. I was really excited when they announced it at CES and was more than happy to give them my money once the product was reviewed. Unfortunately so far all the companies that intended to go with Sipix screens have appeared to get the wrong end of the stick through no fault of their own. Tough luck to them and us their previously interested customers!
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
v1k1ng1001
Addict

The videos on youtube were spectacular. 9xx was exactly what I'd been waiting for.

Well the PB stuff looks pretty spiffy too. Hopefully they will roll out as promised and, maybe, they will drop the prices on their older models. The 302 is expensive but really nice I think. These linux-based readers just seem like much more flexible devices overall.

I wonder if the 900 will appear at all on the asian market? I've recently discovered how to order discounted stuff straight from Taiwan, bypassing customs so maybe I'll keep my eye out.