Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
no toc in a pdf? as mcenroe would say....

you can't be serious....

and instead of fixing this they are putting friggin facebook in the 2.5 update?
ugg.
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Yes, a joke .... the Sony PRS-505 was released in July 2008. It had collections, TOCs, and more on Day 1. The 2.5 update which is barely out in May 2010 is frankly pitiful!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
extendedping
Enthusiast

I say this admitting I did not check this before buying the dx, I did read it "natively handles pdf" and I did not even consider that would not include an easy intuitive way to get around the documents. I have a friend who works for sony and he showed me pdf with toc a few years ago. I have 2 weeks left (you have a month to return it right?) in which to decide what to do. I just can't believe especially for the dx which is big enough for technical docs and with shipping and tax goes for $550 that this is left out. how in the heck do you read a 800 page document with 20 chapters without a toc. I am flabbergasted. does anyone know if this has been hinted as slated for release in 2.5 or in the near future? rant over

their techs are busy incorporating facebook and twitter while pdf's are (from my perspective) useless? common amazon...

Last edited by extendedping; 05-28-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Personally I would like to see better link navigation in general (not just PDF). You should be able to jump directly to the first/next link on a page without having to traverse all the non-link text. But lack of PDF link support is pretty lame. Why did they bother licensing the Adobe Mobile Reader SDK if they weren't going to use it?

As another case in point, why did they add PDF zoom/pan without first (or also) adding image zoom/pan? It is frustrating when viewing images 'optimized for Kindle DX' and not being able to zoom up to at least full DX resolution.

Add me to the list of Whiners.. <g>

Last edited by tomsem; 05-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
extendedping
Enthusiast

yea I love the dx in many ways in the 1+ week I have had it but I have many pdfs that I thought I would be enjoying that I would have to start bookmarking to make usefull. and even there (I only looked for a minute) I did not see a way of putting the chapter name, I guess I'd have to remember that chapter 16 was "setting up sendmail" in my big linux book.

I think its going back on that alone. the convenience of not carrying the book evaporates when you have no easy way to navigate the book. shame on me for not investigating "natively supports pdf" before the purchase. Its just I saw this work on another reader and of course it works on the pc so I just assumed.

Last edited by extendedping; 05-29-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Advert