Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Princeton University Network Has Issues With iPad

The Princeton University IT department has issued a warning to all students who use iPads on the school's network.

The warning asked the students to refrain from using iPads on the network. It also stated that if a particular iPad was identified as the cause of a disruption that it would be banned from the campus network completely.

According to the Princeton IT department, when iPads are used on their network they are not releasing their server assigned Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol IP addresses when the lease expires.

Source: Princeton University Network Has Issues With iPad
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Damn, do Ipods have the same problem with DHCP? It seems Apple's Tigger team A does not know what Team B is doing. Typical major corporation snafu. It should be resolved easily. But this leaves the door open to hackers who can flood the campus with IP address requests and never release these. Slick way to wreck a fellow student's use of IT resources.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Well if they were smart they'd have a lease time of 24 hours or less, I've been in some hotels with 4 hour lease times for DHCP, and I've been in some with a full week. Their network administration could easily work around this problem if they wanted to, they just wanted to get in the news and mentioning the iPad is an easy way to do it.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
You are assuming that the DHCP implementation on the iPAD is a well behaved one.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Oh no, without looking at the iPad's implementation (and I haven't bothered) I'm not saying it is well behaved. Bad Apple if they didn't QA their DHCP client properly. But, this can't be the first bad client their network has seen before.
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Well if they were smart they'd have a lease time of 24 hours or less, I've been in some hotels with 4 hour lease times for DHCP, and I've been in some with a full week. Their network administration could easily work around this problem if they wanted to, they just wanted to get in the news and mentioning the iPad is an easy way to do it.
If the lease is 4 hours and the iPad tells the DHCP server that the lease has been returned to the DHCP pool but is still using it that is worse than having a lease for 7 days.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

Yep. I agree. If you're not properly implementing the DHCP protocol your device should be blocked, easily enough. They can find the offending MAC addresses and refuse to give them addresses.

I don't know what the problem Princeton is claiming. But if it were something that simple, wouldn't everyone be noticing it? So far my iPad has been through 4 hotels and 6 airports in addition to my house, bouncing from DHCP server to DHCP server, no problems yet that I can see.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
If the lease is 4 hours and the iPad tells the DHCP server that the lease has been returned to the DHCP pool but is still using it that is worse than having a lease for 7 days.
Exactly. I've seen this in a large customer environment..and it really wreaked havoc for about a week until we were called in to assess the cause.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Yep, this is definitely an irritating problem. I'm sure they will put out a fix soon. As far as I know the iPhone does not have this problem.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote