Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
NYT: Apple’s Prices for E-Books May Be Lower Than Expected

The article says, in part:

Quote:
But according to at least three people with knowledge of the discussions, who spoke anonymously because of the confidentiality of the talks, Apple inserted provisions requiring publishers to discount e-book prices on best sellers — so that $12.99-to-$14.99 range was merely a ceiling; prices for some titles could be lower, even as low as Amazon’s $9.99. Essentially, Apple wants the flexibility to offer lower prices for the hottest books, those on one of the New York Times best-seller lists, which are heavily discounted in bookstores and on rival retail sites. So, for example, a book that started at $14.99 would drop to $12.99 or less once it hit the best-seller lists.

Moreover, for books where publishers offer comparable hardcover editions at a price below the typical $26, Apple wanted e-book prices to reflect the cheaper hardcover prices. These books might be priced much lower than $12.99, even if they did not hit the best-seller list.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Yeah, CrunchGear had an article on that as well.

This kind of jumped out at me...
Quote:
I’m all for more expensive ebooks. The 99 cent song has essentially turned the music business into a freak out fest and the publishing industry is even less prepare for the volcano that’s about to erupt right in the middle of their industry.

I’d say $12.99 is a good price for an ebook. At that price Apple gets $4 and the publisher gets about $8. This, in turn, gets the author 2 cents on a good day.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hmmm... We'll see. I'm kind of taking everything that the New York Times says about the iPad with a grain of salt these days. They have an agenda in making it look as attractive as possible to prospective buyers.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Hmmm... We'll see. I'm kind of taking everything that the New York Times says about the iPad with a grain of salt these days. They have an agenda in making it look as attractive as possible to prospective buyers.
Oh, please. Individual journalists and editors may have their own passions, but the NYT as an organization doesn't care about Apple sales.

Of course, this really shouldn't be much of a shock to anyone. We'll find out a little more of the real deal soon enough.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Believe what you want, but there hasn't been a critical word in the NY Times about the iPad since its announcement. They were the SOLE demonstration of a periodical in the iPad presentation, they have an upcoming paid subscription service on the device, and they recently published an article downplaying the significance of e-ink's eyestrain advantage over backlit LCD screens (i.e. the iPad).

They have a definite self-interest in promoting the iPad and an editorial policy bent to that effect.
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
$10 for an eBook..... they're dreaming.

He saw not the approach of his slayer.
He felt not the blade that set free his life's blood.
He did not crash to earth but faded like the day.
Breathing Death's rancid breath he speaks his last.
'But I am Amazon'

Please feel free to substitute Amazon with Apple, Mcmillan or anyone else that thinks that we will accept whatever terms they dictate to us.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Nice! I posted this a couple of hours ago, but the more the merrier!

I have to say, I am not surprised at all.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Believe what you want, but there hasn't been a critical word in the NY Times about the iPad since its announcement.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-women-cringe/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...mazons-kindle/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/te.../11reader.html

And really, they actually haven't said much at all since it was announced. Probably because it isn't actually out yet, so there isn't much to say period.

I might add, I'm no fan of the "slate" concept, especially for most ebook purposes. But I hardly see any particular bias on the part of the NYT, certainly no worse than anyone else, and nowhere near as bad a the tech blogs.

Please spare me your cynicism, kthx
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Teddman
Addict

None of those are negative about the iPad when you actually read the copy (in fact, the third link isn't even primarily about the iPad).

The bottom line is that it's worth keeping in mind the New York Times' relationship with Apple and the Ipad when reading an article like this.

For instance:
Quote:
But according to at least three people with knowledge of the discussions, who spoke anonymously because of the confidentiality of the talks, Apple inserted provisions requiring publishers to discount e-book prices on best sellers — so that $12.99-to-$14.99 range was merely a ceiling; prices for some titles could be lower, even as low as Amazon’s $9.99. Essentially, Apple wants the flexibility to offer lower prices for the hottest books, those on one of the New York Times best-seller lists, which are heavily discounted in bookstores and on rival retail sites.
Gee, where do you think they found the "three anonymous sources" with inside info about Apple's prices on NY Times own best-seller's list books? I don't think the writer had to walk too far from his desk.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I wouldn't read a book on a back light screen. Plus, the iPad's battery only lasts (realistically) 4-5 hours. So, you're going to have to charge it every day. I prefer eReaders that I don't have to charge everyday. It's a book, not a computer!
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
Erina
Erina began at the beginning.

Device: None
$26 for a hardback new release? I wish. The average price here in Australia for a new popular hardback is close to $40 which would be approx US$36. I know it includes freight, local taxes etc etc but its still a gouge. So the attraction of downloading at home ( no journey into the mall ) at my convenience and a possible price saving means I cant wait for the eBook store to be available.
But we still have to address the stupid parallel imports rule here so who knows what will happen this year. All very frustrating overall.
Erina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
@Erina: You think $40AUD is bad for a hardback - in NZ we pay about $55NZD (that's nearly 40USD). And paperbacks here are $25NZD (about $17US)

It's one of the big selling points for ebooks with me. Even at $15US for a new release, I can buy two new ebook releases (with my money going to 2+ authors and publishers) for the same price. At $7US for an ebook, I can buy 5-6 books for the price of a new hardback.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Quote:
None of those are negative about the iPad when you actually read the copy (in fact, the third link isn't even primarily about the iPad).
1st points out how the "iPad" name reminds lots of people of feminine hygiene products; not exactly a glowing review. 2nd expresses an overt opinion that the iPad will be a "poorer choice" for reading than eInk. 3rd points out the possible outrage due to impending higher prices, thanks Apple.

And are other media outlets overflowing with hit pieces on the iPad? Chicago Tribune, perhaps? WaPo? USA Today? CNN? Or is every news outlet in thrall to Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman
The bottom line is that it's worth keeping in mind the New York Times' relationship with Apple and the Ipad when reading an article like this.
There is no relationship; Jobs is hardly a member of the Sulzberger family. NYT also has a subscription agreement with Amazon; does that taint their coverage of Amazon as well? Amazon and Apple often compete, so which one of these two behemoths is pulling the NYT's strings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman
For instance:Gee, where do you think they found the "three anonymous sources" with inside info about Apple's prices on NY Times own best-seller's list books? I don't think the writer had to walk too far from his desk.
Err... The NY Times bestseller list has been a benchmark for booksales for decades. It's not like some sort of top secret list that only publishing insiders have access to. E.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/Books/b?ie=UTF8&node=549028
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/fict...oks/379001064/
http://www.borders.com/online/store/ListView_nytfiction

More likely is that someone -- perhaps Apple, perhaps a publisher, possibly both -- is hoping to defuse the outrage over the higher pricing by leaking info. It's a common tactic in business and other fields.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Teddman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
And are other media outlets overflowing with hit pieces on the iPad? Chicago Tribune, perhaps? WaPo? USA Today? CNN? Or is every news outlet in thrall to Apple?
It's mainly just Wired and the New York Times. Take the Wall Street Journal, who just published an opinion piece last week that was extremely critical of the iPad:

The Microsofting of Apple? Apple is in danger of becoming preoccupied with zero-sum maneuvering versus hated rivals.

This was just after Jobs paid a visit to the WSJ to assuage their concerns about the iPad's lack of Flash. I don't think you'd see such a piece in the New York Times.

But as you admit you also think there's an ulterior motive to this piece, I don't think it really matters if we continue arguing how much of it comes from the NY Times themselves.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
$10 for an eBook..... they're dreaming.
You honestly think that $10 is too high a price to pay for many hours of entertainment? $10 is about the price of a rather cheap take-away pizza, or two or three cups of coffee at somewhere like "Starbucks". I think it's an extremely reasonable price to pay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote