Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It's fair to think that Kobo could do more on this front, but from a business standpoint it's difficult to fathom how syncing customer's side loaded content could be anything but burdensome and consumptive of unpaid resources.

It would be a great feature if left to the customer to decide whether they want particular books synced to/from their device on an individual basis. Obviously, each device would have to control whether each of its titles would be available to the other devices for syncing, but I guess this could be accomplished with a simple check box on each title in the library:books display pages. It would seem that requiring the user to allow the syncing by selecting a check box might be sufficient in terms of satisfying any privacy concerns, but no doubt it would also require a disclaimer screen of some sort to be displayed and agreed to, at least once, possibly every time?

The thing about wirelessly syncing bookmarks, etc, across devices is that one must sync the current device prior to switching and the new device prior to reading. Not exactly truly convenient on low powered devices that are often disconnected from the network like readers...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #17
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
It is good to see someone acknowledge that there just may be a business benefit to Kobo in providing a sync service for sideloaded books.

Having used it regularly in a Kindle environment, I was disappointed not to find it offered by Kobo. Certainly the Kindle mechanism imposes little administrative load on Amazon, as users invoke it or not as they choose, for specific books and specific devices. Of course, Amazon does have to provide adequate storage.

I have no idea of Kobo's budgetary ability to provide it, but they can only be expected to offer it if they think their customers want it.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, obviously Amazon would have a storage burden, but my guess is they leverage unused or backup network processing resources to provide the service which are already part of their overhead, whereas a smaller player like Kobo might have to shell out significantly more to try and play in that league relative to what they take in... I think it's fair to say that for a huge company like Amazon it would be a tiny drop in the bucket.

I suppose one must consider that all the players are different and excel in differing areas. Kobo gives adjustable font weights, side loaded as well as company store purchased pubs and even some mobi support and a stellar front lit screen, while Amazon may be a bit more mature and built out and perhaps able to offer lowest ebook prices due to volume.

I suppose ultimately one must refrain from assuming and remember the old saw that "ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances" still applies. Research, research, research...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #19
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
...I suppose ultimately one must refrain from assuming and remember the old saw that "ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances" still applies. Research, research, research...
True, although, not having used anything but Kindle previously, it's not a question I even thought to ask in advance.

Fortunately, I started my Kobo experience with a discounted Mini (which I like a lot), so I didn't have to spend the kids' inheritance to find out.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sync