Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Magean
Magean began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo vs Cybook Odyssey Frontlight

Hello all,

I consider buying an ereader and I'm hesitating between these two devices : Kobo Glo and Cybook Odyssey Frontlight.
I know the Cybook has just been released, a few days ago. They aren't yet comprehensive reviews of this one.
So, I've a few questions :

-Which is the most reliable of this two brands ? Which one does faster updates (I read Kobo was more reactive than Bookeen but I'm looking for confirmations), which one sells the steadiest devices, has the best support... ?

-I've seen a comparison in a German site and it looks like Kobo Glo has too broad margins. Can I change margin's size with Kobo Glo ?

-Apparently the Odyssey Frontlight features a PDF reflow function, whereas Kobo Glo don't. Since I'll probably read quite a lot of PDF, is this function really helpful ?

Thank you in advance

EDIT : I forgot : it seems that the Cybook has a much more comfortable library interface and sorting system. Can you tell me more about it ? And about Kobo Glo's interface ?

Last edited by Magean; 11-24-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Magean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't really compare because I have not seen the Cybook model yet. But I can answer this one question. Yes you can change the margins with the Kobo. In settings you have a graduation bar which you move from left to right to get bigger margins or smaller margins depending on your preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magean View Post
-I've seen a comparison in a German site and it looks like Kobo Glo has too broad margins. Can I change margin's size with Kobo Glo ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magean View Post

I Have a Kobo Touch, which has similar firmware to the Glo. For purchased books, I would say I can change the margins on about half (without modifying the epub file).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Having seen the kobo glo and having an odyssey.

Plus for odyssey
Folder view for ebooks
physical turn page buttons

Plus for kobo
margin changes
physical on/off frontlight button. (i'm not sure, but as far as I know, the odyssey don't have it)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Magean
Magean began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks !
But it's too late. Having read more about these two devices, I was about to opt for Kobo Glo when a shop in the neighbourhood dropped its price for it... So I bought a Kobo Glo yesterday and so far, I'm satisfied. The only drawback is PDF reading ; you can zoom and the screen is pretty reactive when moving the window, but in overall it's not a very "comfy" way of reading. Anyway, I'll read my PDFs on the computer, I've enough epubs to read stored in my new reader.
Magean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert