Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Peter Nadas (Péter Nádas) - Anyone else plan to read "Parallel Stories: A Novel"?

I'm going to buy it in about one week, but it's going to be a huge commitment in time and dedication to read, and will have to wait until I've finished Murakami's new book as well as Stephen King's newest novel. (I'll probably devour a zombie book or two - so I don't lose track of my roots - before engaging in such a commitment.)

The novel is being described as the best book of the century, a masterpiece. Comparisons are being made to "War and Peace."

Here's the Amazon link, if anyone wants to get an idea of what it's about.

http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Stori...0702664&sr=1-1

It's expensive ($19.95), but then I've paid more for thick books, such as one by William Vollmann ("Imperial" - $24.99).

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-07-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Sent the sample to my iPad. Will read it tonight and see what I think. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, seems really interesting.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Story looks interesting, but not compelling. I won't be buying it. I try not to support agency pricing, especially outrageous agency pricing, which is typical of Macmillan. I find it interesting that Macmillan considers that it took 4 years to translate to be a reason to buy the book and a reason to consider the book a masterpeice.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
In my initial post on this, I see I made a mistake when paraphrasing. The idea of "masterpiece" is attributed to "A Book of Memories," one of his earlier books.

I still plan to purchase this, since it looks (to me) like an important novel and appears to have much to say about the human condition.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
You read it and get back to us!

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert