Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
booklights

What kind of booklights do you use with your reader other than those that come integrated with a cover.

I'd like to pick one up for my 650 but there doesnt seem to be much space on top for a light so hopefully someone can show theirs or one similar with a light on it.
I'd like to pick one up tomorrow. I can get the Mighty Bright ones at Chapters I"m pretty sure but there wasnt any way to physically check w/out opening the packaging

TIA
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
I didn't go for the light cover this time, did with the prs 600, but found the light too dim. So I got a mighty bright xtraflex2 for the first time in my life and I love it. It's got 2 led lights and you can either just have one on, or both, I prefer both. I put it on the standard cover I have around my prs 650.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
I didn't go for the light cover this time, did with the prs 600, but found the light too dim. So I got a mighty bright xtraflex2 for the first time in my life and I love it. It's got 2 led lights and you can either just have one on, or both, I prefer both. I put it on the standard cover I have around my prs 650.
do you think it would work just clipping directly on the reader? I dont have a cover and am waiting to see if M-edge comes out with one for the 650's before i succumb to a Sony one
Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I wouldn't clip to the actual reader but clip to the back cover.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I wouldn't clip to the actual reader but clip to the back cover.
ok...I don't have a cover yet though darn
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You could get something similar to a miner's headlamp.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
You could get something similar to a miner's headlamp.
Visions of Peggy Hill just flashed through my mind I think I'll wait for two weeks and then probably get sony cover and a mighty bright light
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
I did buy the lighted cover for my 650--and they must have changed it from the 600's light. The light in it is very bright--in fact I've never used the bright setting. I find the dim setting to give plenty of light.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
TripletDad
Banned
TripletDad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I use a Beam N Read Light LED 3 Hands Free Light with my Kindle 3. It's worn around the neck instead of attaching to the eReader or a cover so it doesn't add weight to the device, is able to shine light from the front instead of from off to one side, and will work with all eReaders. Battery life is 120 hours with regular alkalines. Although I may be biased (I'm from the manufacturer), it's worked great for me for reading in bed and during a recent cross country plane flight. It can also be used for dead tree newspapers and books, for knitting, as a power outage light, and other tasks.

Last edited by TripletDad; 10-04-2010 at 12:59 AM.
TripletDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Did you check the original Sony cover with light built-in? It works really well!
It is a bit more expensive than some other on the market, but you do get both the cover and the light for the money.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
I just tried it and the Mighty Bright xtraflex2 can be clipped to the reader without any problem. The clamp has some rubber patches on each side so it won't damage the reader.

I did hear they changed the light in the lighted cover at least where it's about turning it on and off, that now goes automatically when you pull out the light and put it back in? That's nifty. Who knows I might still try the lighted cover someday. I keep forgetting to bring my MB light upstairs when I go to bed and I want to do some reading in bed. Guess I'm still to used to having the lighted cover. LOL
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
I did hear they changed the light in the lighted cover at least where it's about turning it on and off, that now goes automatically when you pull out the light and put it back in? That's nifty.
Tell me about it. I went looking for a screwdriver to fix the bugger thinking it's broken. No matter how hard I push the slider button back, it wouldn't turn off.
Lucky my wife figured it out before I did any damage
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Before Super LEDs, I used Verilux Full Spectrum Light. It is quite bright and gives even coverage for 6" screen. Moreover, because it isn't located above the screen, there is no glare issue that I had with all LEDs. Standard LED lights were weak, so you had to locate it above the screen to get enough light thus getting bad glare. However, Verilux has a few drawbacks, such as it is a bit heavy and a power hog. I have been using it for 2 years. No regrets, it was the best at its time.
About one year ago I bought Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 LED Light. It rocks! It is very bright, thus you don't have to have it above the screen, so you avoid glare completely (just like with Verilux) but it is lighter and its 3xAAA serve much longer. So far, it is the perfect light for me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #14
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I picked up the sony lighted cover for my 650 and think it is very bright and works really well. Quite a good design.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
I just tried it and the Mighty Bright xtraflex2 can be clipped to the reader without any problem. The clamp has some rubber patches on each side so it won't damage the reader.

I did hear they changed the light in the lighted cover at least where it's about turning it on and off, that now goes automatically when you pull out the light and put it back in? That's nifty. Who knows I might still try the lighted cover someday. I keep forgetting to bring my MB light upstairs when I go to bed and I want to do some reading in bed. Guess I'm still to used to having the lighted cover. LOL
Awesome and thanks guess I better confirm that Chapters has those in stock and head out today or order online