Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #14821
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"The Dead of Jericho", by Colin Dexter.

This is the 5th book in the "Inspector Morse" series, and is well up to the high standard I've come to expect from the series. A woman who Morse knew personally is found hanged in her home, having apparently committed suicide. Everyone is convinced that it is just a straightforward case of suicide, but Morse thinks there must be more to it, and conducts an unofficial investigation (breaking numerous laws along the way!).

An excellent book. This book formed the basis of the first TV episode of "Inspector Morse", but it was altered for the TV version quite considerably. The version of the story in the book is a lot better, to my mind.

A change from the detective fiction now: just started the techno-thriller "Utopia", by Lincoln Child. Very good so far.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-09-2012 at 05:40 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #14822
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I hadn't read it. It was good, with attempts to fill in some of the gaps in Niven's Known Space future history. Interesting stories and characters, in-between the hot wars with the Kzin.

Next up: The Closed Worlds by Edmond Hamilton. The second in the series.
Which was an good story, although for someone who wants to keep a secret, the hero certainly talks about it a lot!

Next up: The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer. Her 12th novel.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #14823
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Did the scribes really leave the 'r' out of celibrate?

Stitchawl
Oh, wait, I get it now...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #14824
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Benedict Jacka & Kim Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished my re-read of the three James Potter novels by G. Norman Lippert as a preparation for the fourth James Potter novel, James Potter and the Morrigan Web. I enjoyed the re-read and am looking forward to the release of the fourth book (supposedly before Christmas).

Ok, for a change of pace I just started reading the novella trilogy featuring the character Derrick Storm by the fictional writer, Rickard Castle. So far it feels quite different than the Niki Heat novels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Right after beginning to read A Brewing Storm I paused to view the two videos featured in my latest post on The Dresden Files thread. In one of the videos Jim Butcher recommends Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Well that made me stop the Derrick Storm books and grab a copy of Fated, the first in the Alex Verus series. I've just started it.
I finished Fated and enjoyed it a whole lot. I'll be adding the other Alex Verus books to my TBR.

Now on to Two Ghosts for Sister Rachael by Kim Harrison. In this short story, Rachel Morgan is only 18 years old and still recovering from the effects of Rosewood syndrome. Two Ghosts for Sister Rachael is contained in the anthology, Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Vicki Pettersson and Marjorie M. Liu.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #14825
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I tried .... I really tried .... but I just had to give up on reading The Long Earth (Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter) .... I really love almost all of Pratchett's oeuvre .... but

THIS BOOK WAS BLOODY BORING!

I don't know how experienced authors could take such a fascinating premise and ruin it.

Sigh .... A big thumbs down for me.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #14826
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I finished Cold Days (Dresden Files #14). It was Wow!

I'm now going back to the Black Dagger Brotherhood with Lover Unleashed (Book #9).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #14827
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I tried .... I really tried .... but I just had to give up on reading The Long Earth (Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter) .... I really love almost all of Pratchett's oeuvre .... but

I don't know how experienced authors could take such a fascinating premise and ruin it.

Musta been Baxter....I've not been very impressed with his work.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #14828
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I just finished up The Honor of the Queen by David Weber. I am loving Honor Harrington!

Going to read A Christmas Carol by Dickens next. I've never read it before and well, 'tis the season.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #14829
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Could not continue to read Alex Cross series (James Patterson) this time of the year. Stopped reading Cross Country, where kids and teenagers are killing. Just purchased "The End Of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe, which has really good reviews AND gives me lots of other book recommendations when I finish it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.ashx.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	97499

Last edited by bcgirl; 12-10-2012 at 02:37 AM.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #14830
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I thought it was a great (if unoriginal) premise that the authors just didn't deliver on. It felt like one long scene-setting pre-amble, and I kept waiting for the story to start. I would imagine there will be a sequel, as they still have a story to tell (I hope).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #14831
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I finished Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey yesterday.

I decided to read some Kindle Singles. I'll be starting Extraction by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child; just 30 pages so I'll finish it in one sitting and will be reading Snatched a novella by Karin Slaughter next; this one is 80 pages.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #14832
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I finished Wool Omnibus yesterday, too. I loved the story, couldn't put it down!

And now I started First Shift. Want to know what happened before Wool!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #14833
kennyc

I've been reading a lot of creative non-fiction essays (cause I enjoy it and that's what I'm working on writing). Just read one by Janet Burroway last night that blew me away called "Embalming Mom" - it was definitely a different tact/style/approach than I think I've ever seen in non-fiction - somewhat surreal. I do not find it online anywhere, but I read it in the "TouchStone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction" - http://www.amazon.com/Touchstone-Ant.../dp/1416531742

and it's apparently in here book of the same title. http://www.amazon.com/Embalming-Mom-.../dp/087745907X

Burroway is a well known writing teacher with IMO one of the best fiction writing books out there "Writing Fiction"
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #14834
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague de Camp a couple of days ago. Something of a classic of time travel/alternate history, I understand, featuring the attempts of a modern archaeologist finding himself in sixth century Rome to avert the Dark Ages. It's quite light, and it clips along at a fair old pace. I was quite surprised to discover, at the end, that the copyright date was 1941. It doesn't feel as old as some of the other classic SF I've read this year. Heck, in my last time travel story (Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis), 1941 is the year they go back to.

Next up I decided to get back to Honor Harrington, with the tenth book in the series, War of Honor. So far it has mainly been annoying me by having huge info dumps and not much happening. It's also apparently over 800 pages long at my current settings. I don't know if I have the patience.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #14835
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
On deck: Sacred by Dennis Lehane
John F is offline   Reply With Quote