Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
I have a case for a few reasons. The protection issue is one. To prevent accidental button presses (i.e. turning on, page turns etc).

My cover makes it eaiser to hold (feels more like a book) and looks kinda stylish too. Also it camoflages it from my 3 year old who will pick up and play with anything that has a screen in it (he thinks its a book and daddy books are dull)
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
ssrich
ssrich began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
Mmm... because I've already broken one of the screens from the pressure of objects in my bag pushing up against the screen. Luckily Borders gave me a new one for free.
I also broke by screen. Kobo was in my pocket and I hit the corner of a desk in the bookstore from which I purchased the Kobo. The protective cover does not break, it is the LCD behind the protective screen. I contacted Kobo who said they could repair the Kobo, but it would likely cost over $100. Perhaps it would cost as much as the Kobo. I similarly broke a Sony laptop LCD screen once and was able to replace the screen myself by purchasing a new LCD for it, and it was relatively inexpensive. This Kobo screen seems to be the price of the Kobo, unless I can find a source for the LCD.
ssrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrich View Post
I also broke by screen. Kobo was in my pocket and I hit the corner of a desk in the bookstore from which I purchased the Kobo. The protective cover does not break, it is the LCD behind the protective screen. I contacted Kobo who said they could repair the Kobo, but it would likely cost over $100. Perhaps it would cost as much as the Kobo. I similarly broke a Sony laptop LCD screen once and was able to replace the screen myself by purchasing a new LCD for it, and it was relatively inexpensive. This Kobo screen seems to be the price of the Kobo, unless I can find a source for the LCD.
It's not an LCD, it's an eInk display. I doubt you'll be able to repair the Kobo for much less than the actual reader, the display is the most important part of the whole unit in an eReader.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo;case;naked