Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Katiex
Katiex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Default firmware on new Kindles

I'm planning to buy a Kindle, but would mainly prefer it if it was a jailbroken one. Because there doesn't seem to be a jailbreak available for the latest firmware version (5.12.3), I was wondering if, when I would buy a new Kindle from Amazon, it would have the latest (not jailbreak-able) firmware version? Or am I better off trying to find a second-hand one that hasn't been updated?
Katiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiex View Post
I'm planning to buy a Kindle, but would mainly prefer it if it was a jailbroken one. Because there doesn't seem to be a jailbreak available for the latest firmware version (5.12.3), I was wondering if, when I would buy a new Kindle from Amazon, it would have the latest (not jailbreak-able) firmware version? Or am I better off trying to find a second-hand one that hasn't been updated?
It's extremely unlikely that any new Kindle from Amazon is jailbreakable. If you want to jailbreak, get an used device.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Just a little warning. I recently bought a secondhand PW3 from ebay. It arrived with the latest not-jailbreakable firmware update.

I would advise sending a message to the seller asking about the firmware before making your purchase.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
I purchased a Cert Refurb PW4 from Amazon about 3 months ago and it has 5.10.3.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=185
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
This links's probably better.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...82#post3932882

Note, this is for PW4 only. Doesn't work on any other model.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote