Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
Philogger
Philogger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How accurate is KDP viewer?

Hello,
I'm formatting a book for kindle and it comes up exactly as I want on the KDP viewer and on my kindle when I send it to myself. But there are epub errors (about 10). Someone told me, it won't work when I publish it. But why not if it looks good on the viewer. Is that the point if it?
In advance,
Thanks
A
Philogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Do you mean the online previewer or Kindle Previewer software? Both are pretty good but do not show how your book will look on the full range of Kindle apps and devices. That often does not matter as long as you are not doing anything tricky with your formatting.

The Kindle publishing platform ignores many things that are considered errors in EPUB, but also has its own restrictions beyond what EPUB allows. The number of errors is not significant. The exact nature of each error might be.

This question would fit better in the Kindle Formats forum.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Philogger

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. It's amazing how many people can be rude on these forums when all i want is the information. Much appreciated.

My book is basic. No images. Just chapters. It looks good on Previewer and online and on my kindle too. So I'm hoping it will be OK.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's amazing how intolerant some folks can be when a member is trying to assist another member AND direct that member to a place where the replies may be more plentiful. The member also supplies a link to further assist you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Philogger

That's why I was thanking him....
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
So, if this is an ignorant question, please tell me. But isn't the KDP process strictly for Kindle formats? How does ePub enter in this process?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Philogger

Because you can upload ePub to KDP
Old 10-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philogger View Post
Because you can upload ePub to KDP
Ah. I was thinking output only.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I convert wordprocessor to epub2 first. Some people swear by Sigil, I use Calibre via docx. The Kindle Creator is stupidly limited in styles for headings and breaks.

I then upload epub2 to Amazon when I have checked that dual mobi and azw3/KF8 are OK.

This seems foolproof. Otherwise I was getting epub errors that Kindles don't care about and seeing font not quite right on first paragraph style on old mobi and KF8.

I can use the daisy epub check if in doubt. Also Smashwords picks up errors that Amazon ignores.

I found the KDP viewer a waste of time.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub format errors, kdp viewer, kindle