Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
kschris
kschris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Books not showing up on Kindle Touch.

I just got a Kindle Touch after having been a longtime Nook user.

I sideloaded five books onto it, no problem, the day I got it.

Today, I tried to load some more, and they're not showing up on the device. In Calibre, it shows them as being on it, but when I actually eject and look on the actual Kindle itself they're not there.

What should I do?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschris View Post
I just got a Kindle Touch after having been a longtime Nook user.

I sideloaded five books onto it, no problem, the day I got it.

Today, I tried to load some more, and they're not showing up on the device. In Calibre, it shows them as being on it, but when I actually eject and look on the actual Kindle itself they're not there.

What should I do?
Did you restart (not just a simple power OFF) the Touch?
(On the K4NT, that function is buried deep, Press Menu Again from the Settings menu)
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschris View Post
...when I actually eject and look on the actual Kindle itself they're not there.

What should I do?
First, mount the Kindle on you computer and confirm that the book files are in the proper "documents" folder on the device. If so, then do as theDucks says and perform a full Restart using the menu entry in Settings.

After the device reboots you may need to wait a minute or so while it re-reads the directory and builds a list of the books found. Kindles do not ever display the directory itself. Instead they display a list stored in a separate file, a list that it builds from the directory and refreshing this list whenever you return to the Home screen. Rebuilding this list can take some time when there are a lot of books. An initial list may appear a first and then be replaced by an updated one after some seconds or a minute, if there are a lot of new books.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not sure why it would be necessary to reboot the Kindle. I've never had to.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
essdee
essdee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Galaxy S2 LTE
I'm having this same problem. Basically I add some books and then will not see them - "Title", "Recent" and "Author" views will list 0 items on the Kindle. Searching for relevant text (e.g. titles) will not show the added books. Searching for a garbage string will occasionally return items not yet indexed, in other cases it will not list anything as yet to be indexed, but these books will not appear in the list.

I've rebooted the device after adding books, reset it as well to see if "starting fresh" would fix the problem. I can't seem to identify the conditions under which the indexing chokes.

Some have posted elsewhere that because indexing is slow, it best to load only a small number of books at a time. However I've found this problem with loading even 2 books. Sometimes removing all the unindexed books resolves the problem.
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
essdee

Also tried converting from EPUB-MOBI and MOBI-MOBI as suggested in other threads, seem to still be running into the problem after reimporting a test batch of around 5 books.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
essdee

Think I figured out how to fix it.

Tried the above mentioned mobi-mobi and epub-mobi reconversion.

I removed books I knew weren't indexing on the Kindle using Calibre, then browsed to the Kindle in Windows File Explorer and found some leftover files referencing those removed books - think they're probably index files. Deleted those and think this may have been the core problem.

Found another post saying that one person found long titles to be problematic, so shortened up any long titles in Calibre.

After that tried adding books around 30 at a time - this time the books appeared more or less instantly in the index and I could add them to collections. Kept repeating this process for only mobi files and PDF files and all seems to have loaded and could assign to collections right away.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the problem.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
essdee

Further to the above it definitely seems to be either reducing the length of the title or converting a mobi to mobi in Calibre that gets around a book not showing up.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Same problem - books are not showing up underneath collections in 5.1.0 like they used to in previous firmware versions. They do appear when I sort by author / title (and there also is an "Items not yet indexed" folder sometimes that has ALL the newly added books inside), but it's a bit of a hassle to have to scroll through all my books so I can add the new ones to a collection.

Is this a Kindle Touch firmware issue, or a Calibre issue?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Grimalkin12
Grimalkin12 began at the beginning.

the same problem

Hi ,
I have a kindle touch since two days and your same problem, I don't see e-books in my device even if I can see them loaded by calibre.
I gave my kindle to a friend that, using his version of Calibre (linux version, I have the windows one), was able to upload ebooks to my device. I think it's a problem relating to windows version or windows OS.
However...I didn't find a solution and I have to ask to my friend to upload new files...what a frustation...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
highwaykind
Connoisseur

I don't know if this is a Calibre issue.
I bypasses Calibre and manually created a text file in the Document folder on my Kindle Touch.
That text file did not appear underneath Collections either..
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindles tend to get stuck indexing certain books. I suggest you delete all the books of your Kindle, reset it, and then resend the books in small batches, verifying that the Kindle finishes indexing them and they show up after each batch. Generally speaking, doing a MOBI to MOBI conversion in calibre before sending will help prevent files from tripping up the Kindle.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
highwaykind
Connoisseur

FIXED IT!

After Kovid said the Indexing was the issue, I narrowed down which book was causing my problem.

On Kindle Touch - sort by title.
One page will not load right, show up blank or with titles missing, and the Kindle will hang a little.

-> you now have the first letter of title (where previous correctly loading page ends, and where next correctly loading page starts, letter the problem title starts with is in between).
Same for first name of author if you sort by author.
This will probably narrow it down to 1 or 2 books,

Connect Kindle to PC. Click Device. Delete problem book(s).

Eject device. Kindle works like normal.
My new books are showing up underneath collections again, and all menu pages are loading too.

So, no need to delete all books for me (phew!) But it looks like until you delete the problem book the Kindle will not function correctly.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #14
GSmyth
GSmyth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Smile Solution

The following solution worked for me:

In Calibre Library, convert any non-appearing books to AZW3
Transfer AZW3 versions to device
(Remove MOBI versions from device)

Once device is ejected, the missing books now appear on my Paperwhite
Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #15
alij
alij began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Kindle touch not showing books on Calibre device after update

hey, just found this thread and hoping for some help - very frustrated.

Had lots of books through Calibre on Kindle Touch working fine. Latest update on Kindle (few weeks back) and just picked it up to take on holiday and found an non amazon books have disappeared from the screen.

They show up on a USB lead to the computer so are on the hard drive, but not showing on the device.

Have tried deleting them all / restarting - resetting device / restarting - reformatting to azw3 and mobi individually for 1 book and usb-ing over , then restarting.

Nothing seems to get the device to show the books.

So frustrating - any help would be appreciated

thank you
Closed Thread