gimleyfarb
gimleyfarb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
What is Sigil telling me?

A book that opens in all my other epub readers is rejected by sigil with:

Sigil has encountered a problem.
Sigil may need to close.

Details:
Error info: Cannot load file L:\r.epub: C:/Users/jim/AppData/Local/Temp/Sigil-atrcMs/OEBPS/Fonts/font00229.otf: http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/enc#RC:
Sigil version: 0.9.18
Runtime Qt: 5.12.3
Compiled Qt: 5.12.3
System: Windows 7 SP 1 (6.1)
Architecture: x86_64
gimleyfarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It is telling you that according to the epub's encryption.xml file the font OEBPS/Fonts/font00229.otf has been obfuscated using Adobe's font obfuscation algorithm for some reason. When loading an epub, Sigil should automatically de-obfuscate any fonts so that Sigil can use them internally in Preview and reobfuscate them when saving.

I would exit out of Sigil NOT saving it and pass that original epub through epubcheck.

Next I would use an unzip tool to unzip the original epub and look closely at the encryption.xml file to see if it is correct and parseable. I would also look closely at the font file to make sure it was properly obfuscated and that it can be deobfuscated by the adobe font algorithm using the info from the opf main uuid.

Most fonts that use obfuscation use the IDPF method of font obfuscation but Sigil should properly handle either.

If you privately post a copy of the epub and pm me (KevinH) with a link to it, I should be able to tell you exactly what is going on inside Sigil with this font/epub.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
gimleyfarb

How can I "look closely at the font file to make sure it was properly obfuscated" ?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try deobfuscating it to see if a valid font file is generated. You have to have code that does obfuscation/deobfuscation which as one of the developers of Sigil, I have access to. Which is why I offered to examine it for you if you can privately pm me with a link.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Alternatively, If you have a clean copy of that specific font (not obfuscated) you can of course use Sigil on a copy of that epub (keep the original safe), and delete the problem font and replace it with a new copy and let Sigil obfuscate it for you on save.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Another alternative if you have clean versions of all of the fonts is to subset the font files instead of using obfuscation at all. This will greatly reduce the epub file size. There are plugins for Sigil that will subset fonts.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

But I would very closely check to make sure the META-INF/encryption.xml is technically correct and well-formed and that it follows the correct format by simply unzipping a copy of the original epub and using a text editor.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
gimleyfarb

Thanks. I replaced the fonts and all is well.