Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
MarkMobileR
MarkMobileR began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some Kindle books can't be read (no AZW3 file)

I am using Calibre to try to convert my Kindle books. I am on a Mac, I've installed the DeDRM plugin, and I did the chmod on the renderer-test file. My kindle version is 1.26.1 (55096).

I have 99 books in my Kindle App. But Calibre only reads in 88. To try to troubleshoot... I deleted all the Calibre books, and began to drag in each azw file from each cryptic kindle directory manually.

Finally, I came across a kindle directory that only has the following files (extensions):
.apnx
.kcr
.mbpV2
.phi
AND a "resources" subdirectory with tons of files with filenames with numbers.

Calibre can't seem to deal with this file structure. Can anything be done? What am I looking at here?

Thanks! Mark
MarkMobileR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
you are looking at .KFX format.
best avoided

for simplicity, roll back to K for PC 1.17 and re-acquire the books, but see a recent thread with AZW in the title , on how to overcome problems when going that route
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The .kcr file indicates that this book is in Kindle Cloud Reader format. This is the same format as is used in the Kindle for iOS app. Kindle for Mac uses this format in place of KF8 (azw3) starting with version 1.25.

More information on how to handle that in this post.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle