Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #76
Dee912
Dee912 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
If you only want one ereader, then the Kindle is best, if only because of the 'infected with DRM' free and cheap books.
Dee912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #77
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hey Dee perhaps you should have a look at Kobobooks.com - they have hundreds of free and cheap books too.
It would be very sad for someone to choose a Kindle just because they thought Amazon having free books was somehow important. I think it's important to buy the reader that suits your needs - for some people that might be a Kindle for others it won't be.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #78
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee912 View Post
If you only want one ereader, then the Kindle is best, if only because of the 'infected with DRM' free and cheap books.
Doesn't matter. You can't take your Kindle library to another device meaning that all those "free and cheap books" are of limited value. If you stick with a DRM-free non-proprietary format like epub then your choice of ereader is wide open to anything but the Kindle which only supports the proprietary mobi format. This, in my opinion, places the Kindle at a substantial disadvantage.

As for "free and cheap", you can find thousands of public domain epub books on the internet. I have a library of over 300 books on my Kobo Touch, and not a single one of them cost me a dime. Best of all, they can be easily transferred to any other (non-Kindle) ereader.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #79
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
If you stick with a DRM-free non-proprietary format like epub then your choice of ereader is wide open to anything but the Kindle which only supports the proprietary mobi format. This, in my opinion, places the Kindle at a substantial disadvantage.
If you stick to DRM-free Kindle books you can also take them to other devices, or convert them to any format you want. There are readers for mobi books, just not for DRM'd mobi books. It is the DRM in either case (Amazon, B&N, Apple) which prevents cross-reading of books.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #80
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Doesn't matter. You can't take your Kindle library to another device meaning that all those "free and cheap books" are of limited value. If you stick with a DRM-free non-proprietary format like epub then your choice of ereader is wide open to anything but the Kindle which only supports the proprietary mobi format. This, in my opinion, places the Kindle at a substantial disadvantage.

As for "free and cheap", you can find thousands of public domain epub books on the internet. I have a library of over 300 books on my Kobo Touch, and not a single one of them cost me a dime. Best of all, they can be easily transferred to any other (non-Kindle) ereader.
But you can "take your Kindle library to another device". I put my Kindle books on my Literati and my Nook Color for reading in bed at night. And vice versa - I put my Kobo and B&N and Sony books on my Kindle. I'm a bit naughty that way.

And you fail to notice (or mention) that almost all of those thousands of public domain free ePubs are also available as .mobi or .prc or .txt books as well, so can also go on the Kindle. And your ePub freebies can go on a Kindle as well, all you'd need to do is run them through Calibre. Or go back and pick them up in a Kindle version.

But hey - glad you seem to be as happy with your Kobo as I am with my Kindle. Competition keeps everyone on their toes, which is good for us as users.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #81
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I began with the Kobo and loved it, but finally bought a Kindle 3 and ended up reading on it more than on the Kobo. Now that I'm buying my wife a new reader (replacing her 1st generation Kobo), I'm getting her a Kindle because the Amazon shopping experience is so easy.

I appreciate the "open" epub format, but the retailers have ruined it with their competitive DRM schemes that destroy the openness. Greed has caused them to squander the one big advantage epub had.

Earlier in the game I was betting on epub because the more open format tends to win. But now my money is on Amazon, because they aren't idiots.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #82
Dee912
Dee912 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Also there is the totally free 3g connection. Amazon pays for this, so there is no monthly outlay to enable one to surf the web globally. I suppose I am completely biased, but when you get to 70 yrs old and are on a tight budget this is important.
Dee912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #83
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee912 View Post
Also there is the totally free 3g connection. Amazon pays for this, so there is no monthly outlay to enable one to surf the web globally. I suppose I am completely biased, but when you get to 70 yrs old and are on a tight budget this is important.
Really?! I thought you were only allowed to use the 3G for accessing Amazon.. I wasn't aware that they allowed you to use to browse the rest of the web.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #84
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Really?! I thought you were only allowed to use the 3G for accessing Amazon.. I wasn't aware that they allowed you to use to browse the rest of the web.
I think the free browsing service of non-amazon stuff has been removed.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #85
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Kindle Touch with 3G reportedly will only allow access to Amazon properties, the old Kindle 3 would allow you access to whatever via 3G, I'm unsure if this is, or will continue to be the case for the Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3 renamed). All that said browsing the web on these devices is a horrible experience and not something I personally see as a selling point.

Also I agree with @J. Strnad the Amazon whole experience is very nice, and is an easy recommendation (much like recommending Apple these days is). That said I've really enjoyed my Kobo Touch and much preferred it to the Kindle 3/Keyboard. The new Kindles provide a nice option and if I was purchasing again I would consider them (as well as the new SONY). I do however prefer the slight open nature of epubs and Adobe DRM so that is still a plus in my eyes, but some of the other advantages like Library borrowing have now been filled.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #86
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
The Kindle Touch with 3G reportedly will only allow access to Amazon properties, the old Kindle 3 would allow you access to whatever via 3G, I'm unsure if this is, or will continue to be the case for the Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3 renamed). All that said browsing the web on these devices is a horrible experience and not something I personally see as a selling point.

Also I agree with @J. Strnad the Amazon whole experience is very nice, and is an easy recommendation (much like recommending Apple these days is). That said I've really enjoyed my Kobo Touch and much preferred it to the Kindle 3/Keyboard. The new Kindles provide a nice option and if I was purchasing again I would consider them (as well as the new SONY). I do however prefer the slight open nature of epubs and Adobe DRM so that is still a plus in my eyes, but some of the other advantages like Library borrowing have now been filled.
The Overdrive system at the public library here in Hawaii has Kindle books and it appears it is a much easier way to borrow books than the Adobe PDF or Epub method which requires you to download to ADE first and then move it over into your device. The Kindle books once 'checked out' only requires you to connect to your Amazon account where the library book is placed for you. All managed at the Amazon servers I guess.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #87
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
The Overdrive system at the public library here in Hawaii has Kindle books and it appears it is a much easier way to borrow books than the Adobe PDF or Epub method which requires you to download to ADE first and then move it over into your device. The Kindle books once 'checked out' only requires you to connect to your Amazon account where the library book is placed for you. All managed at the Amazon servers I guess.
Yes, why I said this is no longer an advantage of the epub ereaders - has been filled by Amazon.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I think the free browsing service of non-amazon stuff has been removed.
No, it hasn't. The Kindle 3 (now called the "Kindle Keyboard") continues to have free, unrestricted web browsing in many countries. However, given the limitations of the browser, I very much doubt that many people would use a Kindle as a primary method for web browsing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Yes, why I said this is no longer an advantage of the epub ereaders - has been filled by Amazon.
Only for the small percentage of people who live in the USA. Kindle library books are not currently available elsewhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #90
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Currently proofreading His Last Bow, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Are you proofreading for Project Gutenberg?