Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Hamza
Hamza began at the beginning.

Device: None Yet
Frustrated by Reset Problem

Hi guys:

I'm using a Sony 505, with 83 MB of free space. Latest firmware. I love Calibre but I've reached wits-end with the reset problem.

On a certain few papers, in my example, the NYtimes, Scientific America and Economist, when I load up the file, my reader freezes, then resets. Then I have to re-load up the file, and it usually works afterward. Then, when I want to load up another book, the reader rests again and I have to re-load the normal book.

This is an inconvience, but not a big one. The big problem is that with those papers that force my reader to reset, I can't change the text size, because every time I try to change the text size, the reader resets, and when I reload the paper, the text size is small again. If I change the text size again, it resets again. This makes Scientific America, for example, virtually unreadable due to the tiny text.

How do I fix the reset problem? I've raised this question before in these forums and the answers have usually "you can't." Is this still the case? Is there anything we can do? I can do?
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Acey
Acey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
2 recommendations I've seen before for this issue:
1. Try the new EPUB output - the 505 is supposedly more stable with large EPUB docs than LRF.
2. Use Sony's Connect software to transfer LRFs to your 505. It will pre-format the files for you so there's less delay when opening them, changing font, etc and it may eliminate or decrease the resets.

Hope that helps.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I had this issue as well. But since I have been using the EPUB output function on Calibre 0.4.92 I haven't had any problems.

The worst thing about some of my resets is that they erased my bookmarks. But I haven't has any problems lately...

Last edited by tsgreer; 10-11-2008 at 06:53 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Hamza
Hamza began at the beginning.

Device: None Yet
YESSSSSS! Converting it all into EPUB works beautifully! And my lord everything is faster with EPUB -- the pages turn quicker, even, and it loads right-away! Thanks so much for your help!

An aside, however -- is it me, or is an EPUB book's "ink" not as dark as an LRF's? Maybe my eyes are going, but it seems a little fainter than an LRF. No problem tho -- I'll just increase the size of the text!

Which I can do now!

And takes 2 seconds!

Because this horrible longstanding problem has finally be solved!

Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I'm having the opposite problem with epub output. I have not been able to open USAToday in that output. Businessweek, NYTimes, Newsweek, all crash immediately when I try to open the first link. I'm back to lrf format, saving from calibre to disk, then transferring through Sony software. I'd love to skip this step, but no luck with epub.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
EPUB links sometimes cause crashes. A workaround is to use the table of contents to navigate instead of the in text links.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote