Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
silentguy
Connoisseur
silentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10. Generation)
Full Text Search?

Hi!
I know this topic has been discussed more then once, but I haven't heard about it in a while so I thought about bringing it up again.
Last thing I remember where some "It's planned but not any time soon" posts. Are there any news on this front? I currently use an external tool to search my files, but seeing how I use it to improve my tags, it would be nicer to have a way to combine the search and the db. I frequently would use stuff like "which of the recently added books not already tagged X contains word relating to X" and running this externally means i have to manually discard all the ones already tagged X (and it's much slower).
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
Hi!
I know this topic has been discussed more then once, but I haven't heard about it in a while so I thought about bringing it up again.
Last thing I remember where some "It's planned but not any time soon" posts. Are there any news on this front? I currently use an external tool to search my files, but seeing how I use it to improve my tags, it would be nicer to have a way to combine the search and the db. I frequently would use stuff like "which of the recently added books not already tagged X contains word relating to X" and running this externally means i have to manually discard all the ones already tagged X (and it's much slower).
Have you tried the advanced search (binoculars)
use a filter to restrict the range
See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#id21 for the syntax of the filter/search
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
silentguy
Connoisseur
silentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10. Generation)
Eh, how would you use that to do a full text search?

I know how to use filters and I've build quite a few advanced searches, but that does not allow me to do the final step "find books that contain word relating to X"...

I could filter for potential books, export them to a folder, run my external tool and work with those results, but that seems rather wasteful... Maybe I could write a plugin that hardlinks the folders in the library that match my search somewhere else, that would save a lot of copying, but this still seems overly complicated :-/
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
Eh, how would you use that to do a full text search?

I know how to use filters and I've build quite a few advanced searches, but that does not allow me to do the final step "find books that contain word relating to X"...

I could filter for potential books, export them to a folder, run my external tool and work with those results, but that seems rather wasteful... Maybe I could write a plugin that hardlinks the folders in the library that match my search somewhere else, that would save a lot of copying, but this still seems overly complicated :-/
You want to search inside all books

I thought you wanted to search Tags or comments for a word restricted by a date added.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you meant searching the contents of the entire book, you might want to check out the plug-in Similar Stories by Ian Stott.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert