Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Gregarianish
Edge User

Wifi not stable on secured networks.

Hello,

I have recently received a entourage edge over the holidays, and i have been fiddling with it. Now that the new semester has started i have been looking forward to using it at my university.

So far it has been useful for recording lecturers, however i am not able to access the wifi network on my campus.

The device will pick up the wifi and when i attempt to connect it, it will say "obtaining Ip address" then after a while it will say "Network remembered". However when i try to browse it wont connect and keeps on forgetting the network.

Normally when i use my laptop on campus you would connect to the network, open your browser page which would bring you to the hotspot page to log in your credentials to get access to the network before you can surf freely.

However the device doesn't seem to connect, in the rare occasion it has connected to the network, the network signal disappeared. Any help would be appreciated.

Just to note the device works flawlessly at home on my wifi, it seems it has a problem connecting to a more secure network.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Which protocol do you use at home (e.g. WEP, WPA, etc.), and what does the campus use?

Also, how many "bars" does the campus wifi show on your eDGe?

Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

My Campus has a similar issue. The problem is that if you're on a "normal" computer, you have to download some antivirus software stuff to ensure their network does not get a virus. So, with the EE, sometimes, I have to go to and from a website (say google to CNN and back) a few times before the wireless server recognizes that this is an android device. Then, it works fine.

That's probably specific to my weird situation, but I thought I'd pass it on in case the same thing can help you.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Gregarianish
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Which protocol do you use at home (e.g. WEP, WPA, etc.), and what does the campus use?

Also, how many "bars" does the campus wifi show on your eDGe?
I use WPA2 at home.

I am not sure what exactly they use on campus. Normally the wifi appears open but we know it is not. I know they use multiple ip configurations that is all i can tell you. I will look into it more tomorrow and get back to you guys.

It normally shows atleast 3 bars on campus so signal strength is not the issue.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
ivan
Edge User

You could also ask your network admin - tell them you have an Android device you need to connect to the network. They should be able to tell you how to do it. If they don't know then it will be a learning experience for them.

Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

It sounds like Dr. T's and ivan's suggestions are your best bet. As a rule, eDGe's don't have problems with wifi, so if you're having a problem on campus, then the campus tech support should be able to help you out.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarianish View Post
Normally when i use my laptop on campus you would connect to the network, open your browser page which would bring you to the hotspot page to log in your credentials to get access to the network before you can surf freely. .......... Normally the wifi appears open but we know it is not.
If you connect and then have to log in with a browser, isn't that an open (unsecured?) wifi network? What I mean is, you connect to the open network, but then need a login to actually do anything on that network? From your description above, it sounds like the wifi connection itself is open, because you don't need the password at the time of trying to connect to the network. Am I misinterpreting your situation?

Not sure whether that makes a difference to your question, but it's worth knowing the difference in case it does.

Last edited by sarah11918; 01-26-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Michealj
Edge User

I had the same problem last week and visited with the IT Help-desk in the student union. We found 3 connections available; a guest , "regular", and a secured connection. We ended up telling the EE to forget the guest and secured connections and the EE stabilized on the remaining connection. Perhaps your unit as well was continually trying to use one or another connection. I could have used the secured connection but I believe there was operator error inputting the password. I did have to create a new password and IT requested the special characters used be located in the 1st 8 characters and keep the length to 12 characters or less. It worked. I have been able to automatically connect, enter the needed info and go to my account or the internet.

Regards,