Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Fastboot GUI

GUI wrapper for fastboot tool.
(GUI = graphical user interface)

Used technology: Mono (C# language)
For platforms: Windows, Linux, MAC
For Kindle models: Kindle 4 (non-touch, mini, etc...), Kindle Touch, maybe Kindle 3

What works now: getvar, setvar, reboot, flash (diags only), control of maximal size of file to flash with (but not control of it's content), no need to run under root on Linux (but once require root password before executing first fastboot operation), automatic installation of drivers on Windows, integrated "How to" about how to put Kindle to fastboot.

General instructions:
- extract archive
- run "Fastboot-GUI(.exe)"
- see Help -> Contents for help

Current available releases:
- Windows
  • for .NET version download "Fastboot GUI - WIN dotNET.zip" - compatible with XP, Vista, 7
    - .NET framework needed, but at least Vista and 7 has it in default I think
  • for native version download "Fastboot GUI - WIN NATIVE.zip " - should be compatible with any 32 bit or 64 bit Windows since about Win98.

- Linux
  • for native version download "Fastboot GUI - LINUX NATIVE.zip"
    - require libmono-2.0-1 package,
    - at x86_64 platform (64 bit OS) download "Fastboot-GUI_64bit.zip".
    - maybe will be needed to mark as executable. Also it wants root password because of restricted access to USB in Linux.

Please post feedback especially about Kindle Touch, driver installation and bugs.

MAC users:
Because I have lost access to any MAC, if there is someone who would like to run this application on MAC, I can provide instruction how to build it.

License:
Kind of Creative Commons or GNU, what the hell, I don't care

Source code:
Download "Fastboot-GUI-src.zip" - compatible with MonoDevelop and MS Visual C# 2010.

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Attached Files
File Type: zip Fastboot GUI - WIN dotNET.zip (649.6 KB, 1659 views)
File Type: zip Fastboot GUI - WIN NATIVE.zip (9.83 MB, 2212 views)
File Type: zip Fastboot GUI - LINUX NATIVE.zip (97.4 KB, 1225 views)
File Type: zip Fastboot-GUI-src.zip (1.09 MB, 839 views)
File Type: zip Fastboot-GUI_64bit.zip (23.1 KB, 1452 views)

Last edited by hostar; 07-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I'm developing GUI wrapper for fastboot tool.
(GUI = graphical user interface)

Current state: In development
Used technology: Mono (C# language)
For platforms: Windows, Linux, MAC
What works now: getvar, setvar, reboot
What will work further: flash (diags only)

Current available releases: none
First expected public version will be available in: from few days to few weeks

Advantages: no need to run command line or terminal, increased safety because of limited fastboot functionality (only safe operations are provided, but that still doesn't mean totally mistake-proof, think-before-click will be still needed )

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
That looks very noob-friendly. Thanks!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
This is really good news, thanks
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Thanks for the great work, keep up with it
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

First post has been updated.
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awesome! Karma bump to 7500.

The Win-native "Help" could be a bit of a problem. If there is no "Don't Halt on repair" file to rename. And losing that file after renaming could alter restart behavior.

Probably better to create a new file than rename an EXISTING file (that might not even exist)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
hostar
Zealot

geekmaster: you are right, but Kindle touches "Don't halt on repair" with every framework start, if it's not changed in start scripts. Maybe I could change it to: Create new txt file and rename it...

Thx for karma

Last edited by hostar; 06-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Hi, fantastic! That is exactly what I was looking for under Linux!
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
geekmaster: you are right, but Kindle touches "Don't halt on repair" with every framework start, if it's not changed in start scripts. Maybe I could change it to: Create new txt file and rename it...

Thx for karma
But can that framework startup "touch" be trusted to continue to exist in all firmware versions for the K4 and K5? How about when a kindle is bricked and does not create that file? Better to not rely on renaming a file, but just to create one, as you said above.

Regarding karma, I give what I can to those who deserve it. The system imposes limits. The more you have, the more you can give, and I usually give at or near my limit (or less for minor rewards like posting the first screenshot). And you are welcome.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-17-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Hi, fantastic! That is exactly what I was looking for under Linux!
GUIs are great for beginners. I usually start with a GUI myself when I enter completely new territory. Then I "graduate" to the command line when I want advanced features not provided by the GUI, or when I want to include its features in a script as part of a larger automation tool.

GUIs are also much more "noob friendly", and will make de-bricking a lot less intimidating, and could have prevented some people from using fastboot to "erase all" requiring that they learn how to use the serial port.

It is especially nice that it is "cross-platform" (but the non-native GUI widgets take a bit of getting used to for windows users).
Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

avira says that this app is infected

Last edited by thomass; 06-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
hostar
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
avira says that this app is infected
Attachment 87865 Attachment 87866

Of course it is not, I have avast on my PC, which tells nothing.
There is probably some part of code, which antivirus thinks it's dangerous...
Try .NET version.
Also you can test it with Virustotal.com, if you don't trust me.

EDIT:
Virustotal results:
AntiVir found TR/Dropper.Gen,
other 41 anti-virus found nothing

Last edited by hostar; 06-17-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
thomass
Wizard

Quote:

Of course it is not, I have avast on my PC, which tells nothing.
There is probably some part of code, which antivirus thinks it's dangerous...
Try .NET version.
Also you can test it with Virustotal.com, if you don't trust me.

EDIT:
Virustotal results:
AntiVir found TR/Dropper.Gen,
other 41 anti-virus found nothing
Ok, then no problem.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Hi,

Under Linux, where does it expect to find libmono-2.0.so.1? I get this error:
Code:
$ ./Fastboot\ GUI 
./Fastboot GUI: error while loading shared libraries: libmono-2.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
although I have mono installed:

Code:
$ ls -l /usr/lib/libmono-2.0.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 29 déc.  12:44 /usr/lib/libmono-2.0.so.1 -> libmono-2.0.so.1.0.0
This is under Archlinux.

Last edited by zeb; 06-17-2012 at 05:16 AM.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
ldd "Fastboot GUI"
Should tell you where your system loader cache thinks the library is located at.
If that report includes "missing' as the location,
re-run ldconfig
There should be no reason to change the ld.so.conf file/directory - /usr/lib is one of the "trusted" locations the loader should always look in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking, fastboot, gui, linux, windows