Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Another indexing issue

Recently, I put about 25 ebooks on my Paperwhite 2, many of them failed to index after about 24 hours. I had to delete approx 18 of the books. I'm now slowly reloading them one by one, but each is failing to index.

Does anyone know why this could be happening? I'm keeping the PW on charge while it tries to index.
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Have you restarted the Kindle? That usually solves all my indexing issues, no need to delete/re-add books.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried restarting. It's still stuck.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J

It just took Jane Eyre (from the MR library) about three hours to index. This can't be normal behaviour. I have 157 books on my PW2, so it's not at full capacity.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd do a Factory Reset and then try to reload them in batches.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #6
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It just took Jane Eyre (from the MR library) about three hours to index. This can't be normal behaviour. I have 157 books on my PW2, so it's not at full capacity.
If it *is* making progress, give it time, since it's clearly not stuck. It might well be doing something else in the background that's contending with the indexer or something.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Normally its something like a poorly formatted book but if lots of them are causing problems, including one from the MR library, I'd be inclined to go with pidgeon92's suggestion of doing a factory reset. Remove the 25 books you recently tried to add, back-up the rest of the books currently on your Kindle, factory reset and then add them all back again in batches.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Normally its something like a poorly formatted book but if lots of them are causing problems, including one from the MR library, I'd be inclined to go with pidgeon92's suggestion of doing a factory reset. Remove the 25 books you recently tried to add, back-up the rest of the books currently on your Kindle, factory reset and then add them all back again in batches.
One definite caveat, and a place where mobileread more or less fights itself: don't do a factory reset if you've jailbroken! Ask on the developer forum instead. Factory resetting is bad for the jailbreak, particularly in recent firmware releases that don't have a new jailbreak available yet: you can lose the jailbreak for good.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It depends on the size of the book. I have one study Bible that takes over 12 hours to index. The bigger the book the longer it takes.

I recommend adding 10 books at a time and wait for them to finish before adding more.

Last edited by JazzyJeff; 05-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
It depends on the size of the book. I have one study Bible that takes over 12 hours to index. The bigger the book the longer it takes.
For some kind of limit case, It took my Oasis most of a week to index the complete works of Dickens, a Project Gutenberg monster 20MiB MOBI (highest location: 293,710; ~20,000 pages; that location count would suggest on the order of 35MiB of pure uncompressed character data).
Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

I'm confused. What is a factory reset? I assume it's not just a long button press.
My PW isn't jailbroken because I'm not technical enough to do that.
Jane Eyre was 1.52mb, so a fairly hefty tome.
Sorry to be such an ignoramus.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A factory reset is exactly what it sounds like: a reset to the state the device was in when it came out of the factory. It's on the "Settings" menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just did a factory reset on my K3. It was having the same behavior. It had less than 10 books on it and refused to index any new books even novellas. The factory reset fixed it. I'm thinking the indexing problem also caused some battery issues.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing