Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
xcuseme_1978
xcuseme_1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Voyage
Smile Hindi Fonts in Kobo Aura H2O

Hello,

I have recently purchased Kobo Aura H2O. I want to read hindi ebooks in epub format on kobo. I have installed hindi fonts in fonts directory on kobo but still i'm not able to see anything in the e-books except junk characters. Please suggest and help me how can i make hindi fonts work on my ereader. Thanks in advance to all those who can please solve my problem.

Thanks & Regards
xcuseme_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
1) Did you select the Hindi font via the font menu after opening the Hindi book?
2) Which Hindi font did you install? Is it a unicode font? I am asking because in the old days there were a lot of non-unicode Hindi fonts, each using different code points.
3) Are the Hindi books you tested supposed to work with unicode fonts? Did you try Hindi books from different sources?

You could also try to rename the books to FILENAME.kepub.epub, but I think it should work with simple .epub too.

Last edited by tshering; 01-26-2016 at 06:37 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcuseme_1978 View Post
Hello,

I have recently purchased Kobo Aura H2O. I want to read hindi ebooks in epub format on kobo. I have installed hindi fonts in fonts directory on kobo but still i'm not able to see anything in the e-books except junk characters. Please suggest and help me how can i make hindi fonts work on my ereader. Thanks in advance to all those who can please solve my problem.
Did you turn the reader completely off and on again after installing the fonts (not just sleep, but off - hold the button for a full 20 seconds)?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
xcuseme_1978

Smile

Thanks for your responses friends.

@tshering - Please check the attached image. It has all the fonts that i have installed on my device. Kindly suggest some good and appropriate fonts if you think the ones i have installed are not correct.

@meeera - Hey...yes i did follow the same procedure what you are suggesting here but no luck.

Friends, i can share my e-pub screenshots as well if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hindi_fonts.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	145871  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Thanks for your responses friends.

@tshering - Please check the attached image. It has all the fonts that i have installed on my device. Kindly suggest some good and appropriate fonts if you think the ones i have installed are not correct.

@meeera - Hey...yes i did follow the same procedure what you are suggesting here but no luck.

Friends, i can share my e-pub screenshots as well if needed.
I think that no source has the correct filename. Must be:

fontname.ttf (for regular font)
fontname-Italic.ttf
fontname-Bold.ttf
fontname-BoldItalic.ttf

Rename fonts and reset
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@xcuseme_1978
Do you see any of these many fonts listed, when you open the font settings? To access the font settings, you touch the bottom of the screen when a book is opened. Then you touch the symbol "Aa". In the dialogue field that will open, you can select from the available fonts ("Font Face"). Or did you already select one of your Hindi fonts and the book did nevertheless not show Hindi characters? I am asking just in case you did not see my question 1).
When you see some of the Hindi fonts in the list of the font settings, they should work, even if italics and bold will not be used because of the specific font naming requirements of the reading software. Therefore, if you see any of the the fonts in the list, and after selecting it, no Hindi characters show, we would have to think about how your epubs are coded.

Last edited by tshering; 01-27-2016 at 02:25 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #7
xcuseme_1978

@tshering..
Mate i have done the font checking and some of the fonts are showing up in the list and when i have select them the epub font does change but does not think that they are the default or right fonts because the characters jumble up. So i'm wondering how can i read the hindi epubs on my kobo when i don't know what font epubs are using.

@surquizu
I know kobo supports .ttf and .otf fonts. But didn't know that naming convention also matters. Will surely try whatever you have suggested. Thanks for your suggestions and guidance.

Last edited by xcuseme_1978; 01-28-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 AM   #8
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The two Hindi fonts that I have on my Aura HD are CDAC-GISTSurekh and CDAC-GISTYogesh. These are developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, a GOI undertaking and these are open source hence free to download. Just google them and you'll be up and running with reading Hindi epubs on your device.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
xcuseme_1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglow View Post
The two Hindi fonts that I have on my Aura HD are CDAC-GISTSurekh and CDAC-GISTYogesh. These are developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, a GOI undertaking and these are open source hence free to download. Just google them and you'll be up and running with reading Hindi epubs on your device.
@indyglow - Can you please share the fonts here with me. I tried downloading but i think the website is permanently down from where the fonts can be downloaded.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I think that no source has the correct filename. Must be:

fontname.ttf (for regular font)
fontname-Italic.ttf
fontname-Bold.ttf
fontname-BoldItalic.ttf

Rename fonts and reset
Not quite right. If you are using Windows, view the font via the font viewer and look at what comes up for the line that reads Font name: Once you see the font name, use that.

For my modified Charis SIL, the font name is Charis SIL Modified. So the font filenames would be...

Charis SIL Compact-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL Compact-Italic.ttf
Charis SIL Compact-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL Compact-BoldItalic.ttf

You have to know the internal font name in order to be able to correctly name the files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
@indyglow - Can you please share the fonts here with me. I tried downloading but i think the website is permanently down from where the fonts can be downloaded.
I do not know if it is appropriate to attach the fonts on this forum but here is the download link

http://biharvidhanparishad.gov.in/HindiFonts.htm
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not quite right. If you are using Windows, view the font via the font viewer and look at what comes up for the line that reads Font name: Once you see the font name, use that.

For my modified Charis SIL, the font name is Charis SIL Modified. So the font filenames would be...

You have to know the internal font name in order to be able to correctly name the files.
I think( I'm not sure) that you should rename the font: internal font name without spaces. I also believe that the font regular should not include the "regular" word in the name.

Last edited by surquizu; 01-28-2016 at 10:19 AM.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I think( I'm not sure) that you should rename the font: internal font name without spaces. I also believe that the font regular should not include the "regular" word in the name.
If the internal font name has spaces then the file name also should have spaces. And as for the regular font, I did name it properly. It's how I have it named on my H2O and it works perfectly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

If your internal font name is Charis SIL Modified why are you using external filenames beginning Charis SIL Compact- ...?

That doesn't follow the Kobo font naming rules as I understand them. Shouldn't they match each other?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, epub, fonts, hindi, installation