Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
zefoto
zefoto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
PRS-T1 not seen by ADE or Sony Reader app on mac os X

Hi. I have searched for a resolution on this for a while and didn't find any that worked for me.

I have an old Sony PRS-T1 that I stopped using years ago because I didn't have much time to read. Now I want to use it again. I know, it is old. But the reader is in good shape. So I thought why spend money on a new reader?

The device itself works fine. Battery seems ok. I can download drm-free ebooks via drag and drop from Finder no issues. My problem is for DRM ebooks.

To download ebooks with drm (Adobe) I must use either the Sony Reader app or Adobe Digital Edition. The issue is none of the applications see my reader. The Mac sees it, I can drag and drop files via the usb connection, but these 2 apps, they don't see/connect to the reader.

I tried it on mac os x 10.11 (el capitan) and 10.15 (catalina).

So I though I would give it a try on this forum just in case someone else got similar issues and has a resolution for this.

Thanks.
zefoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Remove the DRM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
zefoto
zefoto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
True. This is an option. But I prefer to stay legit. Also, I don't like to install unknown application as I don't know what it may be doing in addition to removing drm.
zefoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefoto View Post
True. This is an option. But I prefer to stay legit. Also, I don't like to install unknown application as I don't know what it may be doing in addition to removing drm.
What unknown application? Calibre and the Alf plugin are perfectly safe. If you mean Epubor and other paid apps, those may be suspicious. But you don't need them.

Anyway, if you want to stay strictly legit, you'll probably need to buy a newer ereader. And even then you may have issues with ADE, which is not exactly the most bug-free application out there. Don't expect any help from Adobe, they don't care (speaking from experience here).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefoto View Post
I can't say for certain, but I'm guessing the T1 has outdated security certificates (TL... something or other, I think). I use Linux, so don't have the option to use ADE, that's why I started using Tolino and then PocketBook eReaders (they have ADE built-in). But I've recently added DeASCM to Calibre, which allows me to download DRM books (from .ascm files) without ADE (which I can't run). I can send these DRM ePubs to my Nook, which handles the DRM (like the T1 used to do). Honestly, though, I'm more worried about this with library books. If I've bought the book I don't have an issue clearing the DRM, because most of the time I want to change the default font anyhow.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-12-2021 at 07:26 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
prs-ti, sony