Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
ttnguyen
ttnguyen began at the beginning.

Device: DPTS-1
DPT-S1 as a second monitor

Hi all,

I’m kinda struggling to decide should I go for Sony DPT-S1 or DaSung (http://dasung.com.cn).
I really like the design of Sony, yet I have to use the ereader as my second monitor of my laptop as well. I have searched for methods/tricks to use the Sony as the second monitor without any success.

Do you know any method/trick to convert the Sony DPT-S1 to a second monitor?

Many thanks,
Thanh
ttnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
You'll need to root it and install Android 4.4.2 or higher. You'll also need to install Play Store.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
I was under impression that there is currently no known way to root DPT-1, Could you please share any resources regarding rooting the device? Thanks!
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/1...-runs-android/

Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 AM   #5
ttnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/1...-runs-android/

Thanks a lot Kumabjorn, I guess the process will be long and will void the warranty
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #6
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Yeah, I wonder if someone could share the technical part of the process, I'm a software developer but not that much of an expert when it comes to electronics, I think when I get my DPT-S1 I will start reading about electronics and see if I can hack into mine .
Old 05-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Not only that but you won't be able to install later versions of Android.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Since the DaSung is already a monitor whereas the Sony is something else, and it also costs less than the Sony, why the investment?

Surely one can also modify a Ferrari for farm-related field works, so that everyone would drop dead Wow!!! Snobbery at its peak, but does it help the farmer?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 AM   #9
allochi
Connoisseur

@Ghitulescu your analogy doesn't apply , Sony is a very portable device, you can easily carry it around without even think about it, now if you want to take your laptop and for example do some coding outside on the lake or park during the summer, you would appreciate the sonly working as a monitor to your laptop.

I'm more interested to find a way to write some code for the sony, to add features to its software.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
ttnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
@Ghitulescu your analogy doesn't apply , Sony is a very portable device, you can easily carry it around without even think about it, now if you want to take your laptop and for example do some coding outside on the lake or park during the summer, you would appreciate the sonly working as a monitor to your laptop.

I'm more interested to find a way to write some code for the sony, to add features to its software.
UPDATE Good E-reader (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...oid-e-reader#/) is expected to be available by September 2016. I emailed the founder whether their device can be used as a second monitor but no reply yet.

Seems we are going to have one more option soon?
Old 05-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnguyen View Post
UPDATE Good E-reader (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...oid-e-reader#/) is expected to be available by September 2016. I emailed the founder whether their device can be used as a second monitor but no reply yet.

Seems we are going to have one more option soon?
No, we're not. Come September you'll discover that this project it's nothing but a scam to to make a profit

Old 05-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Since the DaSung is already a monitor whereas the Sony is something else, and it also costs less than the Sony, why the investment?
I saw some video in the internet, showing Onyx Max working as a second monitor, the option which would be for some people a determinative factor to buy Sony. Sometimes, it is good to switch from regular monitor to read pages and pages on e-ink screen, not going away from the desktop.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
Since Sony's system is not open, how would you be able to do that?
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #14
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtech View Post
I saw some video in the internet, showing Onyx Max working as a second monitor, the option which would be for some people a determinative factor to buy Sony. Sometimes, it is good to switch from regular monitor to read pages and pages on e-ink screen, not going away from the desktop.
Ok, then get the Onyx instead.

I do not see the reason why some people should do the job of the marketing dept of Sony.

Not only Sony did not consider this option, and many more, but also Sony actively discourage people of doing this.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #15
everywill
everywill began at the beginning.

Device: SONY DPT-S1
root the dpt-s1 and install teamviewer would be sufficient. The stock rom is android 2.2.1 based but won't be an issue.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODQzNTgwNjQw.html
everywill is offline   Reply With Quote