Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The Atlantic: What is Google Editions?

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/a...ditions/60061/

Quote:
So Google Editions will have two major functions: it will be a storefront selling at prices comparable to those at other major digital retailers. But it also will serve smaller booksellers and publishers who have been unable to fashion their own efficient means of e-book delivery. As for how prices will be set, Google has agreed to work with whatever model publishers prefer in the continuing tug-of-war over traditional bookseller discounts and the new "agency" format in which the seller takes a commission. As a wholesaler for the independents, Google's plan is to provide retailers with a single digit share of the revenue generated.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
What I found interesting is that it says Amazon and Google are continuing negotiations, so Amazon's closed proprietary system may change. *I paraphrased that*. And I'm not interested in debating whether Amazon's system is closed or open, since the advent of K4PC, Mac, Android, etc. and so forth. If I can't open it on anything but a Kindle or with a K4 software, it's closed by my definition.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
This could be a game changer. You'd have to be able to download a title to your own computer to interest me, though. I don't have multiple devices to sync over, and I want my own set of electrons that aren't stored on somebody else's server.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I considered waiting for the Google Editions announcement before buying a Kindle for my wife, thinking it could really shift things away from Amazon if they decided not to play together. In the end, the Kindle still seemed to have a lot going for it as far as our needs are concerned, so I jumped. But I still wonder....

Hopefully there will be real news before too long! Back in May the Wall Street Journal said it would appear in "late June or July" so time is running out!

--Rob
fumanchu314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
This could be a game changer. You'd have to be able to download a title to your own computer to interest me, though. I don't have multiple devices to sync over, and I want my own set of electrons that aren't stored on somebody else's server.
My case exactly. This is the subtlest and most powerful DRM that any company could devise. If you accept that you don't have the book, the Kindle 1984's affair can be child's play in comparison to what Google could do with a book "in the cloud".

Plus, what good is to "buy the book" if I go elsewhere with no Wifi or 3G possibility, and thus become unable to read what I bought?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
During an interview in May

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6729290.html

Quote:
How can readers read a book when they’re out of Internet access? Can a book be downloaded?

The browser connection will cache titles, just in the way people can access Gmail offline. If publishers choose to allow downloads, books will be available in Adobe ACS4 files with digital rights management.
so it will be up to the publisher to allow the download. If they do they will be adobe epubs or pdfs
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

having the bits isn't always enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
My case exactly. This is the subtlest and most powerful DRM that any company could devise. If you accept that you don't have the book, the Kindle 1984's affair can be child's play in comparison to what Google could do with a book "in the cloud".

Plus, what good is to "buy the book" if I go elsewhere with no Wifi or 3G possibility, and thus become unable to read what I bought?
While I agree with you that it's good to have the data yourself, in the world of DRM, this is no guarantee of anything. Some DRM schemes require at least occasional verification of your license with a central server, which can disappear at any time, making your local copy of the data worthless. This has happened before.

Also, if the DRM is tied to particular devices/software and that becomes obsolete, discontinued, breaks, etc. then the data is likewise worthless.

My point is that while having a local copy of the data is better than not, when DRM is involved, you can lose access to the information in many different ways, some of which can't be protected against. It's a matter of trust between the customer and the provider, regardless of whether you have a copy of the DRM'd data or not.

So, while the press has emphasized the "in the cloud" nature of Google Editions, I sincerely hope they wouldn't be short-sighted enough to rule out disconnected devices, and Google has a pretty good track record so far of not losing data and not leaving customers in the lurch. We'll see.

I kind of take the attitude I do with loaning money -- assume you'll never see it again! Until DRM gets balanced out between provider and customer, I (unfortunately) buy based on the assumption I'll be able to read the book at least once, but not necessarily much more.
--Rob
Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hey Google. Summer is almost over. Where's my new store?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
fumanchu314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Hey Google. Summer is almost over. Where's my new store?
Waiting waiting waiting... Maybe the delay means they're ironing out the last few details of a deal with Amazon....