Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
cnkindler1
cnkindler1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle7(new kindle) fw5.7.4
How to jailbreak newkindle fw5.7.4 at this time?

are there any methods now?or when do you think the jailbreak will be released?thank you!
PS: forgive my poor english
cnkindler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Internal serial port. See the sticky thread.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
cnkindler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Internal serial port. See the sticky thread.
you mean it still works on fw 5.7.4?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkindler1 View Post
Internal serial port always works, but you have to open the case of your kindle
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
The serial port is hardware, not firmware related.

The Kindles run Linux -
Linux is a variety of Unix -
*nix systems **MUST HAVE** an "Operator's Console" -
In the Linux builds we are talking about, that is the first serial port.

Now end-user access to the serial port -
That is another matter.
For instance, we do not know the connection points for the serial port on the Oasis model Kindle.

All of the above regardless of what firmware version a device is running.

The "firmware 5.6.5" portion of the sticky tutorial on serial jailbreaking's title is describing what was running when the tutorial was written, it is not a limitation to that firmware version.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
cnkindler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The serial port is hardware, not firmware related.
The Kindles run Linux -
Linux is a variety of Unix -
*nix systems **MUST HAVE** an "Operator's Console" -
In the Linux builds we are talking about, that is the first serial port.
Now end-user access to the serial port -
That is another matter.
For instance, we do not know the connection points for the serial port on the Oasis model Kindle.
All of the above regardless of what firmware version a device is running.
The "firmware 5.6.5" portion of the sticky tutorial on serial jailbreaking's title is describing what was running when the tutorial was written, it is not a limitation to that firmware version.
Got it.Thank you for your clear explanation
and btw, I was wondering if it is a complete jailbreak or a partial one(I mean if the system updates, do I have to do it again?)Are there any differences between the jailbreak I got this way and the one I got using tools for fw5.6.5 without opening my device?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Got it.Thank you for your clear explanation

and btw, I was wondering if it is a complete jailbreak or a partial one(I mean if the system updates, do I have to do it again?)

Are there any differences between the jailbreak I got this way and the one I got using tools for fw5.6.5 without opening my device?
If you run the 'hotfix' package -
the jb will be 'viral' - it will self re-install after device updates.

The software jb for 5.6.5 used software to place our developer certificate in the Kindle's key store.
The serial port jb uses commands over the serial port to place our developer certificate in the Kindle's key store.

Regardless of how the certificate got there -
You must "complete" the jb by running the "hotfix" package.

Once that is done, there is no difference in the result.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #8
cnkindler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you run the 'hotfix' package -
the jb will be 'viral' - it will self re-install after device updates.
The software jb for 5.6.5 used software to place our developer certificate in the Kindle's key store.
The serial port jb uses commands over the serial port to place our developer certificate in the Kindle's key store.
Regardless of how the certificate got there -
You must "complete" the jb by running the "hotfix" package.
Once that is done, there is no difference in the result.
Now I understand. Thank you so much!^_^