Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
Zap
Zap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch WiFi (Kindle 5)
What should I do now? (FW5.3.7.2)

Hello everyone. :)

I have this Kindle with a S/N that starts with B011 which I have confirmed using this page as a Kindle Touch or K5.
The Firmware Version is Kindle 5.3.7.2 (2368910001)
I've looked into jailbreaking(or is rooting the correct word?) this device before but never really got to it.
I'm out of the loop so please don't use advanced terms.

Some things I need help with:
  • What's the highest version I can update to that I can still jailbreak? (without opening the device)
  • Some things to do right after jailbreaking? (other than backing up)
  • Where should I look for tweaks/modules? (I don't really know what they're called)

Thank you so much. :)

Last edited by Zap; 03-18-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
1) Anything. The latest version IIRC is 5.3.7.3 and that can still be jailbroken via the traditional poison filename.
Just see NiLuJe's jailbreak thread with full instructions.

2) Find cool hacks to use! Some of my favorites: LibrarianSync (a collections manager), screensavers, kterm (terminal shell)

3) Install KUAL from the sticky thread, and then look through the linked master list of extensions. Most hacks are packaged as KUAL extensions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert