Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #46
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
This thread reminds me of the statements made 15-some-odd years ago about how "most" offices were going to "soon" be paperless.
Uh, that claim is about 35 years old. (Someone with more experience will probably correct me by pointing out earlier such claims.)

The claim 15-or-so years ago was: offices are going to be paperless -- and this time it really is going to happen!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #47
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Uh, that claim is about 35 years old. (Someone with more experience will probably correct me by pointing out earlier such claims.)

The claim 15-or-so years ago was: offices are going to be paperless -- and this time it really is going to happen!
Considering I was less than 2-years-old back then, I was reminded of the more recent claims. Just goes to further make the point.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #48
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Paper books will continue so long as there is enough of a market for paper books to keep them in print. It doesn't have to be a majority to stick around. Vinyl sticks around, and I doubt very much that paper would drop to the percentage of vinyl.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #49
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
(too lazy to refrigerate jt myself ).
Don't forget that opening the fridge door turns on the light.

And even if you disable the light, modern fridges keep track of how long the door is open so they can alert you to a door tht is open too long. This is basically a switch...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #50
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Apologies if someone already posted this

Natalie Robehmed. (This story appears in the March 2, 2015 issue of Forbes). "E-Books Aren't Killing Print".
That article is so slanted it comes off as laughable. 23% of a $35 billion market is "only a fraction". What looks like 5% or 6% of a $13 billion market is "barely a rounding error". Gee, I'd be happy to pocket that rounding error.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Don't forget that opening the fridge door turns on the light.
That is why Jews usually tape the switch so it won't ever turn on, alternatively, some new fridges have Holiday Mode.

Quote:
And even if you disable the light, modern fridges keep track of how long the door is open so they can alert you to a door tht is open too long. This is basically a switch...
Not a problem in a dorm. Come on, really?

(And even then, any light that can be taped up so it isn't visible does not violate Shabbos.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 AM   #52
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
(And even then, any light that can be taped up so it isn't visible does not violate Shabbos.)
So...if a light bulb turns on in the dark, and no one is there to see it, does it generate any light?

Reminds me about something about a tree and a forest...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please take discussions of religious practices to the "Politics and Religion" forum. They are irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
What plant is better than eucalyptus? I don't know any.
I think the reference is to hemp.

"A full crop of hemp only takes 90 days to grow, yielding four times more paper per acre, when compared over a similar 20 year period with redwood trees in the northwest United States. However, there are other varieties of trees that yield two to three times more than hemp"

Also, one thing that causes paper to degrade is the lignin content (which yellows when it oxidises). Hemp has very low lignin compared to wood pulp.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #55
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Apologies if someone already posted this

Natalie Robehmed. (This story appears in the March 2, 2015 issue of Forbes). "E-Books Aren't Killing Print".
it has a hint that some genres can replace printed. Educational books in print has an advantage that student can spread open many books on table and do cross-referencing but here he has to buy many kindles .

I know some of those all time best books (non-fiction) are not available in eBook format but they are probably not in commercial game anymore but eBooks are so cheap, that i dont know if they are profitable too.
webroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
webroot - I still can't agree with your assertion that "printed books will not exist". What do you think is going to happen to all the billions of printed books in the world?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #57
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I doubt books will ever disappear, but for casual reading material, I expect electronic media will be far more popular.
However I feel there'll always be a place for books. I still buy physical books as presents and would not consider buying say an electronic book as a present. It seems so impersonal to me.
Giving someone a physical book , especially if it's a special edition with a hardback and nice cover feels much more special.

That and whilst I love ebooks to just read things on a whim. For books I really love, I still want a hard copy.
My view has probably altered somewhat on this, as I recently got lots of physical books free from a neighbour who was clearing out his garage. Getting all those books brought back some good memories, as I had read about half of them, so seeing those covers in full colour and picking them up and flipping through them gave something that an image on a screen can't replace.

Still, there's no denying ebooks are far more convenient and practical and the actual reading experience itself is just as good, if not better.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #58
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think the reference is to hemp.

"A full crop of hemp only takes 90 days to grow, yielding four times more paper per acre, when compared over a similar 20 year period with redwood trees in the northwest United States. However, there are other varieties of trees that yield two to three times more than hemp"

Also, one thing that causes paper to degrade is the lignin content (which yellows when it oxidises). Hemp has very low lignin compared to wood pulp.
hemp does not produce a yield in cellulosic fiber higher than eucalyptus. The amount of paper produced by one acre of eucalýptus is significantly higher than one acre planted with hemp.

And to get yields not too far from eucalyptus, you have to load the soil with fertilizer in a scale that is orders or magnitude higher.

The hemp to paper thing being better than the current sources is a myth.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #59
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Paper books will continue so long as there is enough of a market for paper books to keep them in print. It doesn't have to be a majority to stick around. Vinyl sticks around, and I doubt very much that paper would drop to the percentage of vinyl.
I think so too, besides paper books are a classic, inherent to our history and culture, it's not going away any time soon
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #60
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Paper books are also legal to pass on after you've finished with them. I think, for that reason, they will outlive most ebooks in the long run.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, printed books