Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #106
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I would not have bought an Aura if the only firmware for it had a permanent title bar. As things are, I am faced with never being able to upgrade the firmware unless Kobo do something about this new "feature".
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #107
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I'm so glad 2.5.2 wasn't out yet when I updated my Aura two days ago.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #108
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
So is there any way to remove the page number from the bottom of the screen? It takes up 2 lines (including the separator line) that could be put to better use showing more text. Surely it would make more sense to have the page number show only when you tap the screen, just like the time and all the other information and options.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #109
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
No there is no way to remove the page numbers from the bottom.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Count me in this camp too. In fact, I actually prefer the title in the top margin, as it more accurately reflects the environment/view of a dead tree book.

But to each his/her own!
It also takes away screen space. Most people who bought an Aura bought one for the increased screen size and here Kobo is taking away from the screen. So other then the resolution, the usable screen space is getting smaller and smaller.

KOBO, GIVE BACK THE STOLEN SCREEN SPACE AT THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN AND STOP SAVING SPACE FOR MENUS YOU DON'T SEE ON SCREEN WHILE READING!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
No there is no way to remove the page numbers from the bottom.
One line for the page numbers is fine. It's the space above that for the menu that's not fine, not good, and unacceptable.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I already showed in another thread that my Sony 5" screen can have as much text as the Kobo Glo 6" screen because of the wasted space at the bottom and the too-wide line spacing. The change that added the title bar to the top of every page in epubs now makes my 5" screen show more than the 6" Kobo screen.

Please get rid of the top title bar or at least an option to turn it off. And do the same for the bottom bar since it is 2x as wide as it needs to be.
You cannot count the 1.3em default line-height in your calculations because you can override that in CSS. So using the same font, font size, margins, line height, and ePub eBook, which Reader gives you more text?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was considering getting an Aura later this month, but not with all that wasted screen space in 2.5.2.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #114
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Has anyone on the Aura experienced trouble with removing items from the homescreen (like the "last sync" panel?

I'd really love to have the dictionary fixed and don't care about epubs, but I don't want to be stuck with items like "last sync" or even worse "recommended".
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #115
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's not as much Last Sync as it is Sync which displays when you last did it. It seems to be the only tile you cannot dismiss.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #116
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So are you saying the home screen has become the Kitchen Sync of useless info?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #117
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It's not as much Last Sync as it is Sync which displays when you last did it. It seems to be the only tile you cannot dismiss.
Okay, than it's sync. But you know what I was talking about. I called it "last sync" since that is what it does: show when you last synced.

Just to make sure: you can still dismiss the recommended tile?

I guess I could live with the sync tile, though I really don't need to have it displayed permanently on my homescreen (and in a different color than all the others, too).

Hopefully that's just a bug and you can get rid of that panel again after the next update.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #118
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The tiles that Kobo generates are dark, the ones that result from your use of the device are light. Long press on a tile and choose "dismiss".

I do not think it is a bug, it is that way by design. I thought sync could be in the line next to Reading Life, but it could not display the time of the last sync there. I have no idea how important that is to folks. BTW, the other dark tile I have on my device now (which I could dismiss) is the special discount offer for Aura users (though it works for everyone I am told).
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #119
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The tiles that Kobo generates are dark, the ones that result from your use of the device are light. Long press on a tile and choose "dismiss".
I know. Though I don't think it is really necessary to have too different colors, especially since I get the sync tile only because I chose to sync.

And long press and dismiss does not work on sync in 2.5.2 - that was what I asked about so I already know how to dismiss a tile.

Quote:
I do not think it is a bug, it is that way by design.
Why on earth does Kobo think they need to force me to keep the sync tile which I really don't need to see all of the time?

If it's by design than it's another stupid decision, I think. They could put the info in another place for those who dismissed the tile and desparately need to know when they last synced... whoever that might be.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #120
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I understand wanting what you want.

I don't understand why anyone expects a mass produced consumer product to be entirely in line with any one individual's preferences. I also don't understand why not getting everything perfectly aligned with one's individual preferences is evidence of stupidity or incompetence on the part of the company that designed it.

If I were buying a million dollar home, I'd feel entitled to be pretty picky. The particulars of a home screen on an ereader, well, I can live with some variance from what might be my own ideal.

Things that don't work, devices that are unreliable, that's something else.

Fortunately, if I don't like a particular product, for any reason at all, I am free to purchase one from another company that I like more.