Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
devnull
devnull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one: PDF Expert, GoodNotes or Notability to doodle,highlight and annotate PDFs?

I will purchase an iPad Pro 12.9" soon.

What I want to do is simply to edit PDFs (scanned books mostly) so that I can underline them, make small annotations on the margins and highlight certain paragraphs.

Which app would be better for my needs?:

(ratings from the AppStore)

- PDF Expert - rated 4.6 - 10,99 €
- PDF Viewer - rated 4.6 - Free
- Noteshelf 2 - rated 4.3 - 10,99 €
- GoodNotes 5 - rated 4.4 - 8,99 €
- Notability - rated 4.0 - 10,99 €
- others?

Last edited by devnull; 06-10-2019 at 05:56 PM.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Foxit Mobile PDF --- free
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foxi...?platform=ipad

GoodReader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znnlb05a4V4

five pdf editors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BR3sBTXDcA

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-11-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I propose XODO Pdf Reader

https://itunes.apple.com/id/app/xodo...805075929?mt=8
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Notability is more of a note taking app. A very powerful one actually. I use it all the time in my classes because it can can voice notes and sync to the written/typed ones. I sometimes use it for PDFs, however keep in mind that it has to import the PDF into its native note format first. (you can export it back into a PDF, but I imagine you’ll lose certain things like TOC)

GoodReader has been my go to PDF app since I first bought a generation one iPad. It's basically a advanced file manager with PDF functionality on top of it. TBH though, while it was vital to me in the early days, as iOS’s file management has improved in recent years, I find this program to be increasingly cumbersome. If I could find another program that lets me crop out the margins in the same way this one does, I’d probably switch.

Now as for a simple PDF editor, the native Files app technically qualifies. You can very easily make highlights, comments, and hand-written notes. The only major downside to the Files app is that it doesn’t have any way to bookmark or remember the last page you were on.

Last edited by Dylrob; 06-13-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
GoodReader has been my go to PDF app since I first bought a generation one iPad. It's basically a advanced file manager with PDF functionality on top of it. TBH though, while it was vital to me in the early days, as iOS’s file management has improved in recent years, I find this program to be increasingly cumbersome. If I could find another program that lets me crop out the margins in the same way this one does, I’d probably switch.
If GoodReader had a free trial, I'd try it. Given that I don't know how it crops margins, Bookari allows for cropping margins and has a free version. I can't tell the difference between the paid and free one and it's not a very good ereader on IOS (I like the Android version, though), but it works nicely cropping margins in pdf's for me.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
If GoodReader had a free trial, I'd try it. Given that I don't know how it crops margins, Bookari allows for cropping margins and has a free version. I can't tell the difference between the paid and free one and it's not a very good ereader on IOS (I like the Android version, though), but it works nicely cropping margins in pdf's for me.
All better (free of charge) iOS pdf viewers should have all the basic zooming and cropping options fully covered, let alone charged one's.

Unlike with eink readers I don't usually use cropping on tablets because quick pinch-zooming, with or without the zoom locking, and double-tapping is usually good enough for me.

Here is GoodReader manual (Tips for reading, scrolling and zooming link / and / Crop margin link)

https://goodreader.com/gr-man-view-pdf.html

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-14-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know a lot of PDF readers let you automatically crop out margins, but while this will account for pre-defined margins, it won't work for scanned pages, nor will it let you crop out headers and footers. What I like about GoodReader is that it lets you manually define the area you want to crop out.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
I know a lot of PDF readers let you automatically crop out margins, but while this will account for pre-defined margins, it won't work for scanned pages, nor will it let you crop out headers and footers. What I like about GoodReader is that it lets you manually define the area you want to crop out.
I just tried it on a scanned book in Bookari and it does allow manually cropping of scanned pages and cropping of headers and footers. The link to GoodReader seems to show the same functionality (after cropping double tapping to zoom in and out). I'm not suggesting Bookari over GoodReader, just thought you might like another option.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Marinolino
Groupie

Quote:
Zoom-locking should work on scans also, either on the scanned pages without ocr layer or with ocr layer behind the page image (so that text can be highlighted, copied and searched).

E.g. In older versions of Foxit we can use zoom-locking only in vertical continuous scrolling mode, first we use pinch-zooming with two fingers to zoom in at a desired margin width, takes about 1/2 second or less, and then we have to choose zoom-lock in the menu, to lock the zoom for all the (vertically scrolled) pages.

I don't mind using pinch-zooming for zooming-in on every (scanned) page, because it takes me just 1/3 of second or less, but those who want to also get rid of headers and footers should use the crop-mode instead (by adjusting the rectangle box), this is also the way to keep the same zooming level during the horizontal page flipping in older Foxit and similar pdf readers that do not keep the same zooming level for the next page.

In Goodreader, newer Foxit etc. we can crop margins separately for the odd and even pages, which is useful for the scanned pages.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
Zoom-locking should work on scans also, either on the scanned pages without ocr layer or with ocr layer behind the page image (so that text can be highlighted, copied and searched).

E.g. In older versions of Foxit we can use zoom-locking only in vertical continuous scrolling mode, first we use pinch-zooming with two fingers to zoom in at a desired margin width, takes about 1/2 second or less, and then we have to choose zoom-lock in the menu, to lock the zoom for all the (vertically scrolled) pages.

I don't mind using pinch-zooming for zooming-in on every (scanned) page, because it takes me just 1/3 of second or less, but those who want to also get rid of headers and footers should use the crop-mode instead (by adjusting the rectangle box), this is also the way to keep the same zooming level during the horizontal page flipping in older Foxit and similar pdf readers that do not keep the same zooming level for the next page.

In Goodreader, newer Foxit etc. we can crop margins separately for the odd and even pages, which is useful for the scanned pages.
Thanks, Foxit has everything what I want!

(Although I see its one of those apps that uses a shared codebase for iOS and Android... teasing me with a a volume button page turner that Apple would never allow. )

Last edited by Dylrob; 06-14-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
My main PDF app in iOS is this one:

https://apps.apple.com/app/pdf-viewe...120099014?ls=1

It is free for the basic and synchronizes reading position across devices, and supports iOS Files App in full.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #12
Marinolino
Groupie

Quote:
Thanks, Foxit has everything what I want!

(Although I see its one of those apps that uses a shared codebase for iOS and Android... teasing me with a a volume button page turner that Apple would never allow. )
Or using it for zooming in/out, if our fingers are greasy I guess

Those who'd still like to use their pdf viewers despite them not being as good at cropping the margins, double-page scans or displaying multiple 3/4/5 column documents (it is usually the case with eink readers only) can easily and quickly do that on their laptops beforehand (takes a few minutes for an average pdf book, with some practice) using free tools such as Briss, k2pdfopt, pdfscissors etc.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...56&postcount=3

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...98&postcount=5

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-15-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 AM   #13
jasjones845
jasjones845 began at the beginning.

Device: None
PDF Reader for Mobile Phones

1. PDF Viewer
2. Foxit PDF Reader

These two are the best for mobile phones.
jasjones845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #14
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Give Readdle Documents a try. Many of PDF Expert’s basic features (good for highlighting and reading) in a free app that also lets you view a host of other formats.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote