Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #256
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You can always chop them off in Calibre. With me it's the manipulate feeling the titles give. Like the author named it that way to take advantage of the algorithm. Not that the book is necessarily a scam (the Lineage book I linked to earlier looks pretty good), but the author isn't above a little cheating.
That's precisely what I do. I always "fix" my books via calibre.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #257
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Then why didn't you just say that?
Do I think the files as I know them right now will be around in 30 years? Maybe, maybe not.
Do I think the contents of the files will be around in 30 years, probably.
I am pretty sure I have 2 or 3 different formats of digital ebooks just from first bought to now.
The thing is, it is much easier to change a digital format than to keep an analog copy in mint condition. I have a 105 year old book that looks way better than some done in the last few years.

If Amazon doesn't crash and burn, I am pretty sure I will still have access to my ebooks. If not, I should have backed them up.
Same idea with music or photos, do you think you will still have your digital photos to show your grandkids?
If you want your library whether physical or ebook to survive decades you need to properly maintain it. I've a number of ebooks that I bought because my twenty year old paperback versions were literally falling to pieces; paper books designed to last decades cost more money then I had to spend and still shouldn't be treated carelessly if you want them to last. I've lost a small number of ebooks because of DRM and have had to restore my calibre library from backup; ebooks need their DRM removed, backups made and occasional format shifting in order to be readable for decades.

I still occasionally buy ebooks that I've not been able to deDRM but either the reading platform has to offer enough value to make up for the lack of security or the book has to be of limited lifespan (such as picture books for my six year old emerging reader - I fully expect that no one in the household will want to read them two years from now). Still I rarely buy such books if they are not on sale.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #258
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
If you want your library whether physical or ebook to survive decades you need to properly maintain it. I've a number of ebooks that I bought because my twenty year old paperback versions were literally falling to pieces; paper books designed to last decades cost more money then I had to spend and still shouldn't be treated carelessly if you want them to last. I've lost a small number of ebooks because of DRM and have had to restore my calibre library from backup; ebooks need their DRM removed, backups made and occasional format shifting in order to be readable for decades.

I still occasionally buy ebooks that I've not been able to deDRM but either the reading platform has to offer enough value to make up for the lack of security or the book has to be of limited lifespan (such as picture books for my six year old emerging reader - I fully expect that no one in the household will want to read them two years from now). Still I rarely buy such books if they are not on sale.
Oh yes. I have several classic paperbacks bought in 1968. They look good but don't try to read them as the pages start falling out. Hardback and spiral seem to hold up better.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #259
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
And there is a new gimmick for the last one

"Read reviews that mention
patricia lottie gibney twists page parker irish detective gripping kept turns turner personal boyd abuse murder catholic missing angela" (each word a button)

I wonder how much Amazon charges for that.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #260
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
with kindle, when i check a two words combination such as bête noire in english dictionary, i can find answer, but with kobo, i cannot--it seems kobo can't deal with two words for dictionary.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #261
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
with kindle, when i check a two words combination such as bête noire in english dictionary, i can find answer, but with kobo, i cannot--it seems kobo can't deal with two words for dictionary.
I'm not sure if the problem is two word combos. At least in this example the problem seems to arise because of l'accent circonflexe above the e in bête. If you had a text where the expression was spelled "bete noire," you could highlight both words with Kobo and you would get the correct definition from the stock English dictionary. Of course the preferred and correct way would be to include the diacritic, so I guess the stock dictionary isn't as good as Kindle).

Last edited by k9reeder; 12-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #262
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
Yes it can. I accidentally discovered this ages ago when was highlighted "Buffalo Soldier" to look up via google. And I've just read a badly edited short story that had "under stand", "girl friend" and a few other split words like this. In each case, it displayed the "can't find the word, but this is the closest match" and displayed the word without the space. The problem is the dictionary. The Kobo dictionary does not have "bête noire" in the dictionary. It is generally accepted that the dictionary Kobo have is no where near as good as on the Kindle. Kobo uses a Merriam-Webster dictionary and I suspect it is the smallest that they publish.

If you want to test this, use the search and change to the dictionary. Start typing a term you think will be there and it will show the matches. For example, if you type "buffalo", six two word matches.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #263
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One

That last one is dangerous when walking.

Also, who's gripping him/her?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #264
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
If you are talking about the US kobo does not even compete. You cannot see their product anywhere. If you are talking devices kindle devices are a bit snappier and more durable but kobo software features and screens are very nice. Kobo could make its products more rugged and improve its store but if you dont advertise and compete in the market you are never going to cut into market share.
Agreed, Kindle is available from Best Buy and Staples in addition to Amazon which is ubiquitous Amazon even has a help list of retailers with 20+ names. As a Prime member a Kindle can be ordered and arrive in a day or two while a Kobo ships from Canada via UPS and takes a week or so to arrive in Nevada.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #265
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I have both Kobo and Kindle readers. The main reason I use my Kindle far more is because of syncing of sideloaded books. If Kobo would support this, I would switch entirely to Kobo as I prefer the hardware and font customization. I don't understand why they won't do this, when just about every other reader system/app supports it. Seems like a lost opportunity to pick up more customers.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #266
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I have both Kobo and Kindle readers. The main reason I use my Kindle far more is because of syncing of sideloaded books. If Kobo would support this, I would switch entirely to Kobo as I prefer the hardware and font customization. I don't understand why they won't do this, when just about every other reader system/app supports it. Seems like a lost opportunity to pick up more customers.
I didn't know Kindle synched side-loaded books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #267
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I didn't know Kindle synched side-loaded books.
The sideloading has to be done via email. You email the book to you Amazon account, the devices/apps download them and will sync status.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #268
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I don't understand why they won't do this, when just about every other reader system/app supports it.
Do they? I thought Amazon was unique in the eReader space. The Nook, for instance, doesn't do this.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #269
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Do they? I thought Amazon was unique in the eReader space. The Nook, for instance, doesn't do this.
Tolino support it. In that case, you sideload via USB and then select the books you want in their cloud. I've been told that other do as well, but I don't know who they are.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #270
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Just for curiosity, I fished out my old Kobo touch, I had factory re-set it and wanted to re-familiarize myself with how it works. I then had an instant recall. To set it up you have to download the Kobo "desktop" app on your computer. I don't have Windows or Mac (I'm a Linux user) and I don't like wine much. Does Kobo still do that? One would think that with Android, a person could also download the app on their device and set up that way. Granted, this Kobo is as old as the hills, so I don't know if modern devices still make you do that ceremonial ritual

With a Kindle, all I need to do is log-in to my already existing Amazon account, and I'm done. I don't have to do a big song and dance. Every day I find reasons why I probably will never go back to Kobo.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote