Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Booktube

Does anyone watch any Booktube channels? I found out I enjoyed Mike's Book Reviews when I usually wasn't into channels I've tried. They seem dominated by YA, which I am not that interested in. Anyone have any recommendations for their favorites if they have someone they watch regularly?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Does anyone watch any Booktube channels? I found out I enjoyed Mike's Book Reviews when I usually wasn't into channels I've tried.
I've stumbled in to Booktube, looking for e-ink reader reviews. I've watched videos by Mayberry Bookclub. He mainly reads classics: Dostoevsky, Joyce, Trollope...

He also lives in a tiny house, which I find fascinating.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
The prevalence of the YA genre has kept me from the booktube scene. It's hard enough to find enough people to follow on wordpress.

Plus, I'd rather read someone's post than watch a video...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've stumbled in to Booktube, looking for e-ink reader reviews. I've watched videos by Mayberry Bookclub. He mainly reads classics: Dostoevsky, Joyce, Trollope...

He also lives in a tiny house, which I find fascinating.
Thank you!
Old 06-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
The prevalence of the YA genre has kept me from the booktube scene. It's hard enough to find enough people to follow on wordpress.

Plus, I'd rather read someone's post than watch a video...
I agreed with you until I found one Booktuber who was discussing some of my horror favorites. It turned out interesting. I agree with you that a lot of them aren't interesting to me personally
Advert
Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I agreed with you until I found one Booktuber who was discussing some of my horror favorites. It turned out interesting. I agree with you that a lot of them aren't interesting to me personally
Hey, who was that?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, who was that?
Mike's book reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm_...0ProiWA/videos

I liked his video for Michael Crichton (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jqe06Dg6Qo&t=46s), covering various Stephen King books. I haven't read Wheel of Time< Jim Butcher, or fantasy books he has, so can't comment on those, but the ones I have watched when I know the works are fun. He's also in his 40's, married with kids, so I can relate to him a little more lol (well, besides the man part)

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 06-24-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I enjoy watching Youtube book reviews. I don't really follow any reviewer. I've looked into Booktube and found some good stuff there but much that I didn't care for as well. I usually either search for reviews on a particular book or just search for book reviews and see what I find. Either way is usually pretty productive.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Does anyone watch any Booktube channels? I found out I enjoyed Mike's Book Reviews when I usually wasn't into channels I've tried. They seem dominated by YA, which I am not that interested in. Anyone have any recommendations for their favorites if they have someone they watch regularly?
I like Sam's Nonsense for Fantasy Reviews (she has trailed off of late) especially for her deep dives into Robin Hobb's novels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUf...kyfkkXbyJwy0Q/

I used to watch A Common Touch of Fantasy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu...tIXtO7NY-zk92g

For horror I like The Shades of Orange
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...ab7PghJPNy2nHg

Not booktube but author David Stewart frequently makes videos about how to write and he has done deep dives in some fantasy series, and he is one of the few to discuss Erikson and Donaldson
https://www.youtube.com/user/rpmfidel

I haven't found any good ones yet for sf, mysteries or general fiction.

Most of the popular booktubers review YA which I'm not interested in. Also they are usually too young and inexperienced to have any interesting insights. Shamefully, the more mature booktubers usually don't collect a following and give up.

Daniel Greene might be one of the most popular now and reviews mostly adult sf/f but he is so arrogant that he rubs me the wrong way. He started his channel by doing nothing but gushing about Robert Jordan and also Daniel is poorly read. But he acts like he's Gods gift to booktube just because he has a large sub count.

Merphy Napier is another big booktuber that doesn't just do YA, but she doesn't read deeply, has trouble appreciating anything other than surface level action and is impatient.

I think that largely Booktube is not that good. It is still better than Amazon and Goodreads reviews. The best source at least for me is Reddit. Don't get me wrong there are definitely hype trains on r/fantasy, r/horror and r/printsf but there is alot more breadth in recommendations, and depth to analysis there than anywhere else. I so miss sfsignal and sfsite.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I like Sam's Nonsense for Fantasy Reviews (she has trailed off of late) especially for her deep dives into Robin Hobb's novels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUf...kyfkkXbyJwy0Q/

I used to watch A Common Touch of Fantasy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu...tIXtO7NY-zk92g

For horror I like The Shades of Orange
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...ab7PghJPNy2nHg

Not booktube but author David Stewart frequently makes videos about how to write and he has done deep dives in some fantasy series, and he is one of the few to discuss Erikson and Donaldson
https://www.youtube.com/user/rpmfidel

I haven't found any good ones yet for sf, mysteries or general fiction.

Most of the popular booktubers review YA which I'm not interested in. Also they are usually too young and inexperienced to have any interesting insights. Shamefully, the more mature booktubers usually don't collect a following and give up.

Daniel Greene might be one of the most popular now and reviews mostly adult sf/f but he is so arrogant that he rubs me the wrong way. He started his channel by doing nothing but gushing about Robert Jordan and also Daniel is poorly read. But he acts like he's Gods gift to booktube just because he has a large sub count.

Merphy Napier is another big booktuber that doesn't just do YA, but she doesn't read deeply, has trouble appreciating anything other than surface level action and is impatient.

I think that largely Booktube is not that good. It is still better than Amazon and Goodreads reviews. The best source at least for me is Reddit. Don't get me wrong there are definitely hype trains on r/fantasy, r/horror and r/printsf but there is alot more breadth in recommendations, and depth to analysis there than anywhere else. I so miss sfsignal and sfsite.
Thank you for the recommendations!

I prefer reviews in written form as well, but I have enjoyed a few videos of the same. I'm mainly drawn to bookish content with the videos rather than the Vlog reviews, if this makes sense, so it's nice to have a mixture of both in a channel.

On the young thing - I get ya. Some are too hyper for me lol. I found several interesting ones yesterday on the focus topics on discrepancy on treatment with race in the Booktube community. I have no doubt that leans toward age too.

I'm surprised there isn't more mystery focused. That genre has many sub-genres and is huge.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I used to follow a number of Booktube channels but I eventually unsubscribed from all of them except for Climb the Stacks; even during times when she didn't post anything for months I held on because I simply love this channel. Her reading tastes are not similar to mine but I like her thoughts on the reading life in general and I hope to (someday) read some of the books she reviews.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Also they are usually too young and inexperienced to have any interesting insights.
I realize you're talking about BookTubers and I don't single those out for watching but I do search Youtube for reviews on books I'm interested in and I find more young reviewers than old ones. Some of them are very good, in my experience. Offhand I'd say you're right that the older reviewers are better but I've been pretty impressed by the ideas and observations of a lot of the younger reviewers as well. And since there are more of them, a lot more, it just might be that there are more good young reviewers than old, even though the best reviewers do tend to be older.

I think it's more true that the younger reviewers are less able to make a smooth video than older ones. They tend to be a bit more choppy in their editing and I think they do that on purpose because the choppiness is pretty consistent. I'm pretty sure they work at that.

Still I think a lot of them do a good enough job analyzing the value of the book to them that it's worth accepting the rougher presentation.

By the way, lest anyone think i'm biased, I'll turn 80 in November.

Barry
Old 06-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #13
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Time goes fast. It seems that you were saying you were 76 only a short while back.

Edit not sarcasm.

Last edited by Luffy; 06-26-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Time goes fast. It seems that you were saying you were 76 only a short while back.

Edit not sarcasm.
I used to be 76. That was three years ago. Actually I've been quite a lot of ages.

I won't deny there might be a bit of sarcasm there but it's still true.

Barry
Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #15
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
As a relative youngster of 71, perhaps we should be made to add "Old Fart" or "Old Curmudgeon" or both to our signatures.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 06-26-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote