Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 12:51 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
My Aura ONE is fine but I am looking to the future. I don't like the form factor of the Forma or H20. Is the Clara the right replacement?
It's a pretty big drop in screen size, from 7.8" to 6".

If you want a 7.8" reader with approximately the same shape and size as the Kobo One, you might look at the PocketBook InkPad 3 or InkPad 3 Plus. Even though they both have buttons on the bottom, they're still a little smaller (in length and width but not thickness) than the Kobo Aura One, and they both weigh less.

The Nook Glowlight Plus also has 7.8" screen with a similar shape, but it is a bit bigger and heavier than the Kobo Aura One (page turn buttons on both sides of the bezel). (Nice screen, though.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Nook Glowlight Plus also has 7.8" screen with a similar shape, but it is a bit bigger and heavier than the Kobo Aura One (page turn buttons on both sides of the bezel). (Nice screen, though.)
The nook is nowhere near a replacement for the KA1. The firmware is awful. Going from Kobo to nook is a downgrade of epic proportions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook is nowhere near a replacement for the KA1. The firmware is awful. Going from Kobo to nook is a downgrade of epic proportions.
I don't know. Look, Kobo's firmware is better. But I've found for the most part those niceties aren't as important as you'd think they would be.

And Nooks have better looking screens and better night lighting than Kobo. Plus the 7.8" Glowlight Plus has Bluetooth, a headphone jack, is waterproof and has page turn buttons on both sides, so no flipping needed.

I read on my Nook about as often as I read on my Kobo.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-22-2020 at 06:24 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #19
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't know. Look, Kobo's firmware is better. But I've found for the most part those niceties aren't as important as you'd think they would be.

And Nooks have better looking screens and better night lighting than Kobo. Plus the 7.8" Glowlight Plus has Bluetooth, a headphone jack, is waterproof and has page turn buttons on both sides, so no flipping needed.

I read on my Nook about as often as I read on my Kobo.
I’ll still take Kobo based on software hands down.

I’ll grant the screen may be better but your claim of the nightmode lighting being better because it’s more orange still falls flat to me. You don’t need pure orange light for the theoretical benefit of red shift lighting you just need to reduce the blue light which kobo and nook do equally well.

The Bluetooth and headphone jack are from what I’ve read meaningless as the device doesn’t support audiobooks natively these bits of hardware only support BN podcasts (correct me if I’m wrong). Even if you do get audiobooks working the 8GB storage would be consumed rather quickly.

I’ll leave off about the side bezels as there are plenty of people in both camps on that front. However the top and bottom bezels are somewhat cartoonishly large. The top serving no real purpose as you can’t rotate the Nook and the bottom still being a bit overly large with how much you have to grip on the side.

Waterproofing at the price range is I think universal or close to it.

So at the end the Nook comes ahead with the screen but is essentially tied everywhere else for hardware and lags behind in software. I’m also not going to go into how easy it is to tweak a Kobo vs the Nook but it’s something for folks on this forum to bear in mind since they’ve already made it here and have the tools available.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

I’ll grant the screen may be better but your claim of the nightmode lighting being better because it’s more orange still falls flat to me. You don’t need pure orange light for the theoretical benefit of red shift lighting you just need to reduce the blue light which kobo and nook do equally well.

The Bluetooth and headphone jack are from what I’ve read meaningless as the device doesn’t support audiobooks natively these bits of hardware only support BN podcasts (correct me if I’m wrong). Even if you do get audiobooks working the 8GB storage would be consumed rather quickly.

I’ll leave off about the side bezels as there are plenty of people in both camps on that front. However the top and bottom bezels are somewhat cartoonishly large. The top serving no real purpose as you can’t rotate the Nook and the bottom still being a bit overly large with how much you have to grip on the side.

So at the end the Nook comes ahead with the screen but is essentially tied everywhere else for hardware and lags behind in software. I’m also not going to go into how easy it is to tweak a Kobo vs the Nook but it’s something for folks on this forum to bear in mind since they’ve already made it here and have the tools available.
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Very well said.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-22-2020 at 08:56 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
So at the end the Nook comes ahead with the screen ...
For me the screen is about the top priority. I do agree, however, that a Bluetooth feature that can't really do anything is kind of a waste. That still seems silly to me.

A PocketBook InkPad 3 or 3 Pro might be a good choice if you want to listen to books (or have the TTF feature) in a 7.8" eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Eeyup.

Quote:
But without the extreme orange light, I can't feel as if I am reading by candlelight. Which is what my first Kobo Comfort Pro device felt like when I set the natural light to the extreme. Admittedly my preference in home lighting tends to be daylight equivalent bulbs, so I may be slightly prejudiced.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me the screen is about the top priority. I do agree, however, that a Bluetooth feature that can't really do anything is kind of a waste. That still seems silly to me.
My understanding is that the Glowlight Plus can handle audiobooks, but because Barnes and Noble is contractually bound to be incompetant, you can't buy audiobooks on the device. You can only access podcasts there. You should be able to sideload.

To be honest, I have zero interest in audiobooks, so I haven't bothered to check. Even if you are a fan of audiobooks, I don't understand why you would use an e-ink device to play them. But different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Eeyup.
It seems so obvious. But I've found that while Kobo's firmware is nicer in things like displaying a series or creating collections, the Nook is better when you're actually reading. Which matters on a reader.

In my sample size of myself only, I read daily on both my Plus and my Clara. The Clara is nice in the evening, when I want the orange light. But in the daytime when all is equal, I gravitate towards the Plus.

Quote:
But without the extreme orange light, I can't feel as if I am reading by candlelight. Which is what my first Kobo Comfort Pro device felt like when I set the natural light to the extreme.
I wonder if Kobo 'underpowers' the orange light because of the problems they had with the Aura ONE where at extremes there would be discolored spots.

Rcentros says the Tolino version of the Clara does turn oranger, like the Glowlight 3. So the hardware is capable of it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-23-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It seems so obvious. But I've found that while Kobo's firmware is nicer in things like displaying a series or creating collections, the Nook is better when you're actually reading. Which matters on a reader.

The last time I looked at the reading part of the Nook, I found Kobo's to be better; Kobo had more margin, font size, and line height options.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The last time I looked at the reading part of the Nook, I found Kobo's to be better; Kobo had more margin, font size, and line height options.
They do. But what the Nook offers at minimum line height and margins works for me. On my Clara, I tend to set it to about the same as what my Nook displays. Not consciously aping the display of the Nook. It's just what feels right. Maybe I'm just an undemanding reader.

I will say that superior line height and margins are nice, but I didn't have to patch the Nook to shrink wasteful header and footer space.

The Nook tends to have less issues with hyphenation and weird word spacing than the Kobo does.

Partly that's ePub vs. kepub. But man, why doesn't Kobo invest some time polishing up their custom format? It's been years with no discernible improvement. If they could get kepub to look as good as ePub with decent layout, hyphenation, ligatures and font rendering, I'd probably stick to the Clara. I don't think that's asking too much.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
They do. But what the Nook offers at minimum line height and margins works for me. On my Clara, I tend to set it to about the same as what my Nook displays. Not consciously aping the display of the Nook. It's just what feels right. Maybe I'm just an undemanding reader.

I will say that superior line height and margins are nice, but I didn't have to patch the Nook to shrink wasteful header and footer space.

The Nook tends to have less issues with hyphenation and weird word spacing than the Kobo does.

Partly that's ePub vs. kepub. But man, why doesn't Kobo invest some time polishing up their custom format? It's been years with no discernible improvement. If they could get kepub to look as good as ePub with decent layout, hyphenation, ligatures and font rendering, I'd probably stick to the Clara. I don't think that's asking too much.
Isn't it great to have choices; we can all get what works best for us.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Isn't it great to have choices; we can all get what works best for us.
I agree. And I like messing with the different readers. I've been *this close* to picking up a Kindle multiple times.

In the end, I'll probably have complaints about all of them. But the truth is, if any reader (well, any reader with a front light) were my only reader, it would probably be just fine
Old 07-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I agree. And I like messing with the different readers. I've been *this close* to picking up a Kindle multiple times.
I did pick up a Kindle and registered it. If Amazon continues to tighten their lockdown on downloading books using Kindle4PC, I have to hope they don't do the same for Download and transfer via USB though figuring out how to stop Kindle4PC 1.29 from downloading KFX was kinda fun.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote