Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
As I wrote, the Voyage has unique characteristics that some people have found it worthwhile to have a backup Voyage without remorse, even years after making that decision.

An opinion that it is never ever OK for anyone anywhere to have a backup kindle of any model is rubbish.
But would you remember to charge the battery?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But would you remember to charge the battery?
I don't have to. Mine are all jailbroken and powering down is trivial.

Others have posted that they have no trouble doing regular charging.

Nothing is perfect, not even your beloved kobos.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't have to. Mine are all jailbroken and powering down is trivial.

Others have posted that they have no trouble doing regular charging.

Nothing is perfect, not even your beloved kobos.
But at least Kobo allows me to turn it off without the need to patch.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Couldn't I just put in a new battery if I find the original Voyage battery degraded when/if I needed my backup Voyage?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Couldn't I just put in a new battery if I find the original Voyage battery degraded when/if I needed my backup Voyage?

The Voyage is supposedly one of the easiest to replace the battery.

How easy or hard it is to get a replacement battery that will work well is an open question. I have no direct experience with that, but I assume I will eventually have to face that.

The reasons offered for doubt are lack of non-dodgy suppliers and alleged requirement of certain electronics being present in the replacement battery.
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A backup Kindle is not a good idea. If you have someone who would use it, that's OK. But as a backup, not a good idea.
Quote:
But at least Kobo allows me to turn it off without the need to patch.
That still falls short of the bar justifying a blanket statement that a backup kindle is not a good idea, which has been refuted many times.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I keep considering getting another Voyage as a backup and letting my kids use it till I need it or something I like better comes along.

They keep stealing borrowing mine anyway. They have a Paperwhite but only one and I have two readers (YAY!) so I really need to get something for them anyway.

Hopefully this ends up coming to Amazon US or back to Woot.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #23
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I keep considering getting another Voyage as a backup and letting my kids use it till I need it or something I like better comes along.

They keep stealing borrowing mine anyway. They have a Paperwhite but only one and I have two readers (YAY!) so I really need to get something for them anyway.

Let me know if I can help you with buying one, in case they don't show up on Amazon USA. I could send it to you
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

Try this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IOY524S/

Looks like it might be possible to buy. Doesn't show up on searches that I could find.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #25
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Daily steals has refurbished ones for $69 free shipping. Anyone know how much Amazon is charging for the new Voyages they are selling outside the USA? An ereader blog claimed today that they are being offered in additional countries as time goes on. However, that blog also said we would have new Voyages last year and this year that were redesigned, not the same exact model

Last edited by Tomk2; 01-29-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #26
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Negative DT, when you select USA it just says:
Quote:
Some products ship to United States when purchased on Amazon.com.
To see available devices in United States, please visit Amazon.com.
And the Add to Cart button is still disabled.

(I'm not sure why the Buy Now button is activated but when used it returns the same error. Not that I want to spend more than I did in 2016 for the same, now old, tech, now likely with a degraded battery.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyage.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	176730  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #27
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Daily steals has refurbished ones for $69 free shipping. Anyone know how much Amazon is charging for the new Voyages they are selling outside the USA? An ereader blog claimed today that they are being offered in additional countries as time goes on. However, that blog also said we would have new Voyages last year and this year that were redesigned, not the same exact model

Here are two from Amazon Warehouse, one with cellular and one without.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...technology=all

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Look what I found on Amazon Germany:

The Voyage is up for pre-order and will be delivered starting February, 4th.

Guess some of you are extremely happy now, aren't you?

Heck, I was so excited for to see this, I nearly ordered one. And I'd never buy a Kindle. Or would I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also available for pre-order in the UK.

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock. Note it's only the WiFi model available. From 4th February.
It looks like they're gone already, at both locations. That didn't last long.

"Refurbished" (open box) ones are back at Woot for $85. This time it says "Clearance." I wonder if they've finally about sold them out.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/kind...lnd_cat_pc_6_2

Last edited by rcentros; 01-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #29
Tomk2
Groupie

Overseas A-zon Voyage is $219? Well, I spent some time with my Oasis last night, and realized part of the reason my Voyage was my favorite was because I got one in like new condition for $75 from Woot. Yes, I prefer using my Voyage, but I think that is too high a price.

Last edited by Tomk2; 01-29-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you ready for the fight over who gets the Voyage and gets stuck with the PW?