Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #676
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Very, very NICE !!!
Good work & good idea.
Michal Jancik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #677
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Beautiful demo ! Thanks Mdp.

Does the Max2's frame become very hot under the sun ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #678
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Does the Max2's frame become very hot under the sun ?
You never keep a device under the sun: first of all, they contain batteries.
Nor the intellectual practitioner should work statically under the sun - I do not see the two things compatible, of "intellectual intent" and "frying" (the latter would at least distract you. Or the first would distract you from the fact that the sun is hurting you badly, as is very easy already at these latitudes).
I am always under the shade (at least with a laptop - with AR, foremostly, things change). Actually, under more layers: normally, trees, and an umbrella. They sell big - almost a man's wingspan's shade - portable umbrellas, e.g. for golfers. And you place the umbrella already in relative shade - without a first screen from the foliage it would just create a radiant parable above you.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #679
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
You never keep a device under the sun: first of all, they contain batteries.
Nor the intellectual practitioner should work statically under the sun - I do not see the two things compatible, of "intellectual intent" and "frying" (the latter would at least distract you. Or the first would distract you from the fact that the sun is hurting you badly, as is very easy already at these latitudes).
I am always under the shade (at least with a laptop - with AR, foremostly, things change). Actually, under more layers: normally, trees, and an umbrella. They sell big - almost a man's wingspan's shade - portable umbrellas, e.g. for golfers. And you place the umbrella already in relative shade - without a first screen from the foliage it would just create a radiant parable above you.
Thank you Mdp for yours advises. Sometimes it's hard to find some shade :-(
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #680
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
It's really cool what you made. It looks great.

This is clearly a better solution than to try and insert the max2 screen and circuitboard into a laptop screen bezel. You've kept the buttons intact and it really looks like a laptop.

It looks removeable... It would be interesting to fix it to the hinge to close like a laptop normally.

edit, I like the pen at the top.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 08-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #681
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what's the verdict on the monitor capabilities of the Max 2 ? Is it perfectly usable for browsing the web, writing (i.e. papers for university) and so on..any mouse issues ?

Any significant difference between the Max 2 and the Max 2 pro in that regard ?

Last edited by tracey1; 09-01-2019 at 05:04 PM.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #682
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2 other questions if I may

- Is Onyx planning another, newer version/ would it be wise to wait then ?

- Woult it be wise to purchase it at a signficant lower price from a seller but with no clear knowledge of their warrancy terms ?
Old 09-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #683
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
So what's the verdict on the monitor capabilities of the Max 2 ? Is it perfectly usable for browsing the web, writing (i.e. papers for university) and so on..any mouse issues ?
These devices are certainly good enough for writing.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #684
tracey1
Addict

Quote:

Any significant difference between the Max 2 and the Max 2 pro in that regard ?
@mdp Can you shine light on this ?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #685
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
These devices are certainly good enough for writing.
And the other stuff ?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #686
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
And the other stuff ?
I don't own it, I have just been trying to make a decision like you, but there is sadly a lack of reliable video evidence online of its performance browsing the web. The comments written here have reported frustration with its speed when doing non-terminal-related tasks.

I can only compare to my Mimas, which seems so sluggish compared to my eink phone. But I can't conclude much from this comparison. The downside for me about all these devices is the touchscreen. Most ereaders aren't responsive. Yet my eink phone touch types very well.

Personally I am going to wait to see what Max3 is like unless I can find a cheap Max2.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 09-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #687
Waiting4somethin
Addict

The buttons are missing on the max3. Which I expected. But...

Powerful CPU: Qualcomm Octa-core 2GHz Processor offers high speed and top-rated performance with energy-efficient computing.
Secondary Monitor: Eye-friendly monitor features four refresh modes used for different situations.

So it looks worthwhile in those respects at least.

Also it has OTG Capacity. First ereader with OTG? Well I'm happy about it.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 09-08-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:54 AM   #688
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The buttons are missing on the max3
Which means: forget about browsing the web with the Max3 (Android side). Touch scrolling (swipe) does not work as well on EPD (you will miss the PgUp and PgDown buttons) and to add a keyboard just to control web browsing would be "stupid".

EDIT: are you sure it does not at least have a VolumeUp + VolumeDown bar? With that users needing scrolling may be set.

Quote:
Powerful CPU: Qualcomm Octa-core 2GHz Processor offers high speed and top-rated performance with energy-efficient computing
I don't know what you would do with it, but the most important thing in the past history was to overcome the SoloLite, with something fast /and normally featureful/ (do not forget that plenty of software does not work on the "Lite" CPU, e.g. in the context of "Monitor", standard proprietary Desktop Remote software) - which was done - and, achieved that, where would be the advantage of an Intel Core i9-9900K on an EPD based tablet?

Quote:
Secondary Monitor: Eye-friendly monitor features four refresh modes used for different situations
Marketing speak should be within quotes. What are those "four refresh modes"? The details there are important.

Now, the problem of the HDMI connection on the Max2 was with the implementation, not really with the lack of good modes, which are extra benefit - once you have GU, which is the requirement (which Onyx excluded and I poked back in).
And those problems in the HDMI implementation were:
-- lack of in-production use features (quick full-screen refresh, quick mode change etc.): you want to have them (and I put those in);
-- wrong resolution: this is not crippling for some applications like text editing, but it is for normal desktop operation and probably most other applications, because the screen becomes blurry while EPD is crisp, which again makes the use "stupid". This was very important, was this solved?
-- battery consumption: that is a heavy problem: what was the source of this, was this tackled? This is akin to another problem, which is using the Floyd-Steinberg algorithm for A2, because it is a non state-conservative dithering algorithm, a heavily randomic algorithm in the visual effect, impacting eyes and battery, while a state-conservative dithering algorithm is needed - was this done?
-- touchscreen: you use a touchscreen device as a monitor, you want to use its touchscreen. The solution found in these pages conflicts with the need of a USB connection (to bring touch data) that, as that USB connection also recharges the tablet battery, drains the power source and stresses the tablet battery - more clearly, on the tablet you want to be able to move data without recharging the battery. The solution must be as battery efficient as possible, in all terms, of stress and consumption. Was this solved?

Quote:
Also it has OTG Capacity. First ereader with OTG? Well I'm happy about it.
False. OTG was enbaled in past Onyx products and disabled later (to protect the users against themselves with regards to special battery drain etc.).

Last edited by mdp; 09-09-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #689
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
So what's the verdict on the monitor capabilities of the Max 2 ? Is it perfectly usable
Quote:
@mdp Can you shine light on this ?
I don't cut a long story short (especially if asked to give objective responses on subjective matters like «perfect usability» of a structural compromise). A piece of it is in the reply above. Which does not count remote desktop.

Last edited by mdp; 09-09-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #690
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
I don't cut a long story short (especially if asked to give objective responses on subjective matters like «perfect usability» of a structural compromise). A piece of it is in the reply above. Which does not count remote desktop.
Thanks for responding. What I meant by that is simply whether it does a good and sufficient job at things like browsing, researching and writing while used as a monitor. Reading your posts, I get the feeling that it certainly does those things well enough ? For example, I have an E ink phone and I find its performance more than sufficient for any task while others may find it unsatisfying.

Regarding the battery, is it possible to simply use the Max 2 with the battery being charged, just like you would use a laptop ?

Last edited by tracey1; 09-09-2019 at 10:43 AM.