Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
pjft
pjft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Experimental Browser Downloads failing

Hi all,

Apologies for the first question. I've been a reader of posts here at MobileRead for a long time now, but today I ran into something that wasn't yet answered so I thought I'd post it here.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 4 8GB, on Firmware v5.12.5 .

I'm trying to set up a Calibre-based Content Server at home so that I can download books to my Kindle via WiFi.

My issue is that when trying to download large books (400MB - they're comicbooks) the download via the Experimental Browser fails at different stages - sometimes less than 100MB are transferred, other times we get close to 200MB, but nothing systematic. Not only that, I get some large .goutputstream-* files created on my Kindle that I then need to manually delete.

To troubleshoot it I first tried to download from the PC browser twice and the files were transferred successfully.
Then I tried putting the files in a different home server and downloading from there to the Kindle - still failed.
Finally I transferred the file to Google Drive, tried to download from Google Drive to the Kindle and it failed again.

Is there a known file transfer size limitation/memory/keep-alive issue that might cause these transfers to fail? Is there anything that I might want to look into that may help me identify the cause - and hopefully as well a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your time and do let me know if there's any further detail I can share here.

Best.
pjft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjft View Post
Hi all,

Apologies for the first question. I've been a reader of posts here at MobileRead for a long time now, but today I ran into something that wasn't yet answered so I thought I'd post it here.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 4 8GB, on Firmware v5.12.5 .

I'm trying to set up a Calibre-based Content Server at home so that I can download books to my Kindle via WiFi.

My issue is that when trying to download large books (400MB - they're comicbooks) the download via the Experimental Browser fails at different stages - sometimes less than 100MB are transferred, other times we get close to 200MB, but nothing systematic. Not only that, I get some large .goutputstream-* files created on my Kindle that I then need to manually delete.

To troubleshoot it I first tried to download from the PC browser twice and the files were transferred successfully.
Then I tried putting the files in a different home server and downloading from there to the Kindle - still failed.
Finally I transferred the file to Google Drive, tried to download from Google Drive to the Kindle and it failed again.

Is there a known file transfer size limitation/memory/keep-alive issue that might cause these transfers to fail? Is there anything that I might want to look into that may help me identify the cause - and hopefully as well a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your time and do let me know if there's any further detail I can share here.

Best.
Is there a reason why you don't use the Send to Kindle app? (Maybe it doesn't work for comics? I don't know, I've never tried)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
pjft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Is there a reason why you don't use the Send to Kindle app? (Maybe it doesn't work for comics? I don't know, I've never tried)

Shari
Hi Shari,

Thanks for the reply. The reason for that is that the Send to Kindle app has a 25MB/50MB file size limit (unsure which these days), and as such won't work for these large files.

I use it extensively for smaller files, for sure - thanks for bringing it up!

Also, to be clear since I didn't mention it, the file transfers correctly over USB.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Working with that experiment browser, that hasn't changed since 2009, takes so much time, it has to be quicker to just use USB.

I just tried it...my Paperwhite 4 browser won't even connect to the Content Server running on my laptop.

Edited to add, it did finally connect after I added "mobile" to the IP address, and a 200 mb book downloaded correctly. A USB connection would have been faster, but it did work.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 07-23-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
pjft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Working with that experiment browser, that hasn't changed since 2009, takes so much time, it has to be quicker to just use USB.

I just tried it...my Paperwhite 4 browser won't even connect to the Content Server running on my laptop.

Edited to add, it did finally connect after I added "mobile" to the IP address, and a 200 mb book downloaded correctly. A USB connection would have been faster, but it did work.
Apologies, missed the notification. Actually, after your suggestion that it would work I tried the actual content server on my laptop, and later back to my NAS.

The key issue I was having was that I was interpreting the "moving animated circle" on the top left of the Kindle screen to be that it was downloading, and so when it stopped I assumed that it had finished.

In fact, by chance, this time around after giving up I left it on the browser window even after the circle disappeared, and after a few minutes a popup notification that the download had finished did show up!

So it was very much user error - it just assumed it was no longer downloading when in fact it still was.

Sorry for the trouble, and thank you for the patience.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Glad to hear it's working. These browsers are sloooow. I only look at the one on my Kindles to check how to answer questions. I don't use it on a regular basis at all.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
pjft

Indeed - thanks for helping out, it was your suggestion that it worked for you that indirectly led me to find out it worked! Learned something

Have a great weekend, thank you.