Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
drdancm
Enthusiast
drdancm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Avast removes calibre-parallel.exe Infected?

This is the 2nd time that Calibre fails to download from Kindle for PC as well as any metadata for new books after Avast identifies and removes calibre-parallel.exe.

Is calibre-parallel.exe falsely identified as infected with IDP.Generic as Avast claims?

I was able to get Calibre working again by repairing Calibre yesterday and it worked fine only to get the same Avast warning and removal. Once again Calibre cannot work.

Anyone else have this issue? I suspect this is a false positive. If I were sure, I would tell Avast not to remove this file.

Thanks,

Dan
drdancm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...a-virus-trojan
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #3
drdancm
Enthusiast
drdancm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok,

I read the info on your link.

I've downloaded the official Calibre, as always. Repaired it again, and I will assume this problem is a false positive.

Calibre is just about the most helpful, great program I have ever used. I can't live without it.

Thanks,

Dan
drdancm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:23 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
maybe calibre should add an option to remove avast . THAT'S THE REAL MALWARE
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Can confirm, as a user of Avast for YEARS, removed and now rely exclusively on MS Windows 10's built-in antivirus. Latest benchmarks show it's the best, free, option. Avast sells your usage data, and I removed it as soon as I read about it.
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
Can confirm, as a user of Avast for YEARS, removed and now rely exclusively on MS Windows 10's built-in antivirus. Latest benchmarks show it's the best, free, option. Avast sells your usage data, and I removed it as soon as I read about it.

MS Defender found a trojan in CCleaner soon after Piriform sold it to Avast - far as I know it was the first, and for a while the only AV, to find it - including everything at Virus Total.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre-parallel.exe, false positive, virus