Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard.ryefield View Post
That is the internal SD card. I'm worried it swipes the whole OS or sensitive files though.
The book partition is a partition on the internal SD card. There are two others plus areas where the boot image and kernel are written. The device presents only the book partition to the computer when it is connected. Nothing you do it will have an affect on the other partitions.
Quote:
By the way I noticed a strange thing: after the last FW update, the MAC address has changed. I noticed it after I couldn't connect by wi-fi as I put a white list filtering the MAC addresses on my wi-fi hot-spot. I put the new MAC address in the white list but couldn't connect either.
Others have commented on the MAC address changing at times. I haven't noticed it happen here. I don't whitelist the devices, but I do assign an IP address on the router in the DHCP configuration. If the MAC address changed, I'd get a different IP address, but, I haven't noticed that recently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #17
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The book partition is a partition on the internal SD card. There are two others plus areas where the boot image and kernel are written. The device presents only the book partition to the computer when it is connected. Nothing you do it will have an affect on the other partitions.

Others have commented on the MAC address changing at times. I haven't noticed it happen here. I don't whitelist the devices, but I do assign an IP address on the router in the DHCP configuration. If the MAC address changed, I'd get a different IP address, but, I haven't noticed that recently.
Very useful info here. Probably worth a sticky and a good place in the Kobo FAQ. I will do the format as soon as I finish the books I'm currently reading. For some reason, since the last "factory reset" the reading status has come back, last location kept. So I will finish these books "on one wing" or rather "on one engine"!

I understand the MAC address can dynamically change? I thought the FW update was responsible. Nevertheless it's very unusual for a device to change MAC address.
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard.ryefield View Post
I understand the MAC address can dynamically change? I thought the FW update was responsible. Nevertheless it's very unusual for a device to change MAC address.
There is a MAC address hardcoded into the network hardware but you can override it in some cases. Generally not a good idea but then I work in an environment where the MAC address is used to identify the device.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, database, factory reset, kobo, problem