Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
[Bug - Calibre 2.51, Win10 x64] ToC Editor cannot move titles

Hi

There may be a bug in the ToC Editor. I have noticed this before, but it is still present in version 2.51, at least on Windows 10, 64-bit.

Let's say, I have book with a ToC like so:

Code:
Part 1
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Part 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
I would like it to become:

Code:
Part 1
--Chapter 1
--Chapter 2
--Chapter 3
Part 2
--Chapter 4
--Chapter 5
--Chapter 6
So, I select Chapter 1-3 and then try to drag-and-drop them onto Part 1.

However, it is not allowed. I cannot drop the chapters 1-3 on Part 1, as the cursor displays a pointer with a "not allowed" symbol beside it. I first have to drag-and-hold the Chapter 1-3 selection outside of the list if chapters; for example, touch the titlebar, or touch the area with the buttons on the right. Then, when moving back to the list and hovering over Part 1, I'm allowed to drop the chapters.

I can reproduce this behavior with any book, on two different computers, Calibre 2.49 - 2.51, but both are running Windows 10 x64. I'm sorry to say I have no computer with Windows 8.1 or earlier available anymore so I cannot test on older Windows versions.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-12-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Try grabbing the top of the selection (or the top of the one item, if only one item is to be dragged) and then dragging and dropping, rather than grabbing elsewhere in the selection.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Besides what the Cat brought to the table
I noticed that if there are (invisible) mixed levels, that you also get the circle-slash

Flatten the involved entries (that includes the Target) in the set, then you should be able to nest the group
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AnotherCat: Thanks, I'll try that.
theducks: Sorry, as I want to create levels in the TOC, flattening it is a bit counterproductive Still, the Kindle PW can only display two levels AFAIK, so I limit a TOC to that.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the point was that flattening the TOC is a step enroute to the final goal of a nested TOC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the point was that flattening the TOC is a step enroute to the final goal of a nested TOC.
correct

It is one of those cases that needs to reset the start

Just like the MDE change case tool sometimes requires you to firs Lower the value, then you can title_case it
Old 02-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I just tried this.

Open random book in the ToC Editor.
Select Chapters 2-4.
Drag them up and release onto Chapter 1.

Works perfectly.
Arch Linux latest.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-14-2016 at 02:06 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I just tried this.

Open random book in the ToC Editor.
Select Chapters 2-4.
Drag them up and release onto Chapter 1.

Works perfectly.
Arch Linux latest.
Normally it works.
I think this is a case where what you see (GUI) is not really what is there (in the NCX code)
Next time I run into this, I will save off the before NCX

and sometimes? I think it was sensitive to the group 'select' direction (no bottom to top)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Normally it works.
I think this is a case where what you see (GUI) is not really what is there (in the NCX code)
Next time I run into this, I will save off the before NCX
The NCX is what shows in the ToC Editor?

Quote:
and sometimes? I think it was sensitive to the group 'select' direction (no bottom to top)
I cannot think why that would matter, and for the record it doesn't -- at least not for me.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I cannot reproduce it on my win10 machine. Check if you are using the calibre style and not the system default style in preferences->look & feel in calibre. That is the only thing I can think of that might make a difference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done some more tests, and it looks like this issue starts as soon as the TOC has an entry with two levels.

So when taking the example above, moving the chapters 1-3 under Part 1 would work as expected, but then moving chapters 4-6 under Part 2 would need the described workaround.

I have not yet tested the calibre style.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The NCX is what shows in the ToC Editor?
Yes, by GUI I mean the TOC Edit tool and not a direct edit of the NCX.

Kovid

This has happened more than once to me, basically I was attempting the same as Katsunami.
Starting with
part
chap
chap
part
chap
chap

and trying to nest the chapters into the parts

Note the same happens with the TOC tool on the main calibre toolbar
a few balk
most just work
Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have done some more tests, and it looks like this issue starts as soon as the TOC has an entry with two levels.

So when taking the example above, moving the chapters 1-3 under Part 1 would work as expected, but then moving chapters 4-6 under Part 2 would need the described workaround.
Still works fine for me.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
At the risk of you all thinking I'm completely nuts ...

I've been experiencing the OP's TOC editor nesting problem since its very early days. It appears to be related to the "drag motion" utilised i.e. "poor mousework".

If I select my Level2 entries and drag directly North into the Level1 entry, it works correctly every time.

If I select my Level2's and drag East before going North it fails every time with the No Entry icon (red circle with diagonal bar). Somewhere between North and East is the tipping point.

ETA: I also have much better success if the mouse cursor is on the first Level2 when I start the drag-drop.

Now is probably a good time to mention that there is also another "poor mousework" technique where the order of the Level2's gets reversed during the drag-drop action. I have no idea what mouse motion is causing this but I manage to do it accidentally at least once a week.

P.S. Forgot to say Win7 64 with calibre 32-bit, currently using v2.47 but the problem has been around a very long time.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-14-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: ETA and tech setup
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I've tried dragging various number of entries left, right, up, and down, individually and in snakelike combo, with varying degrees of difference.
I've tried with one level 2 nesting, and I've tried with several.
I've tried level 3 nesting.
I've tried starting with the mouse cursor on the top item, the bottom item, and several stages in between.

I can't imagine why some of those might matter, but I tried them anyway.

I CANNOT get this error to show up.