Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Library of Congress Digitized Rare Materials

I searched MR and didn't see any links, so figured I'd post this.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/digitalcoll.html
http://www.loc.gov/library/libarch-digital.html (Their main digital collection site)
It's also worth noting that many other large libraries, including universities, have a growing collection of scanned works available for free download.

-MJ

Last edited by mjh215; 05-12-2008 at 06:58 PM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I searched MR and didn't see any links, so figured I'd post this.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/digitalcoll.html
http://www.loc.gov/library/libarch-digital.html (Their main digital collection site)
It's also worth noting that many other large libraries, including universities, have a growing collection of scanned works available for free download.

-MJ
Thanks for those links.

How I wish all "National Archives" of the world digitize their rare and original documents and put them on the net. Most of them don't charge their visitors (most being poor students!) anything to allow them to look up their documents but imagine how much time, energy, money and fuel we would save if researchers from all over the world could access rare, and not so rare, manuscripts on the net rather than go to these archives. International studetns often have a hard time to get appropriate funding to go and visit these archives.
In fact it is likely to be a win-win. As goverments would be able to cut on the cost of maintenance of the archives if the archives just become depositories and the public face of the archives in only on the internet.
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
A very nice find. Many interesting texts most of which are available as PDFs. I believe I'll start with an illustrated copy of William Blake's The marriage of Heaven and Hell. Thank you!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
A very nice find. Many interesting texts most of which are available as PDFs. I believe I'll start with an illustrated copy of William Blake's The marriage of Heaven and Hell. Thank you!
I wonder if there is a copy of Blake's Jerusalem? I wish there were more hours in the day to read!!!!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Yes:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage...ge.db&recNum=2

http://memory.loc.gov/service/rbc/rb...3rosen1811.pdf
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks! I saved a copy. It's still not the glorious multi-color version I saw somewhere (maybe a museum?). Sooner or later I'll find that one.

In grad school, I had to do a presentation on The Canterbury Tales, and I found an article comparing Blake's painting of the pilgrims with another artist's work from the same period. Turns out that they were hated rivals, so one painted the pilgrims going east and the othe painted them going west. I managed to do the whole presentation about the two paintings. Blake's was alive and somehow he even managed to make the Miller seem like a sympathetic character.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I wish there were more hours in the day to read!!!!!
You could convert your Mobileread time to book read time.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You could convert your Mobileread time to book read time.
That would just be wrong!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

See if we can't add some libraries to this post;

http://oedb.org/library/features/250...archives#etext (Variety of links to libraries supplying eBooks)

I had checked across the pond, and couldn't find a similar online version at the British Library (some nice online media, but no eBook archive, silly Brits) and the French Bibliothèque (No English translation, so perhaps if one of our froggy regulars could check and post back a link if there is an online archive)

-MJ (I haven't ignored any countries, I actually started searching at the beginning (each country) but it'll take some time and obviously theres a language barrier. So check back if this interests you, or add your own!)

Last edited by mjh215; 05-13-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
We have a lot of Library's listed in the wiki although not the ones that only supply books for their own local people. you might want to test these and add them to the list if they have support in wide areas. I suspect that we have the best list available in our own wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
mjh215
Guru

Dale, I always forget to check the Wiki, but by the look of the responses, I'm not the only one. -MJ

P.S. All the ones mentioned are publically accessible online, whether they are available for download/offline viewing or what sort of format they are in is another story.

Last edited by mjh215; 05-13-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
and the French Bibliothèque
Gallica is the site of the French Bibliothèque Nationale, and has lots of French classics:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote