Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Eskoe
Eskoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
EPUB still opens as PDF on reader

Hi, I'd like to start off saying that I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, and apologize if this is in the FAQ, I couldn't find it but it could be cause it's 5 am lol.

I got a Sony Reader not too long ago, and I've been using Calibre to change PDFs to EPUBs with absolutely no problems, until my most recent one. I convert it, upload it to the reader, and when I open it it's still in the PDF format; the text can't be expanded, etc.

If it makes any difference, it's much larger than the usual PDF, with a fair amount of pictures. That being said, when I tried to convert it I checked the no images option (I also tried without doing that, same problem). The pictures aren't necessary (in fact, probably better if I refer to them on the computer).

Can anyone suggest anything? Sorry again if anything's unclear or left out, like I said before, it's 5 am

Thanks!
Eskoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is probably an image PDF, without text. This is common for documents that are multi-column, contain a lot of images, or contain unusual fonts. Nothing you can do about this unless you want to try to use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to convert the picture of text to real text.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskoe View Post
I convert it, upload it to the reader, and when I open it it's still in the PDF format; the text can't be expanded, etc.
If you have removed the PDF from your reader and uploaded the ePub then it is in the ePub format. Don't confuse things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskoe View Post
That being said, when I tried to convert it I checked the no images option (I also tried without doing that, same problem). The pictures aren't necessary (in fact, probably better if I refer to them on the computer).
When you converted it using the no images option, the text converted fine (except for the fixed font problem) but there were no images correct?

You might want to open this ePub in Sigil (the forum is here and the project page here. If the ePub formats font size in px like this

Quote:
p {font-size:14px}

div {font-size:14px}
versus em or % then you will not be able to resize the font in your Sony device. If you open the ePub in Sigil and poke around the css file you may find info along these lines.

If the file opens in Sigil it is definitely in the ePub format. Further questions at that point might be better addressed in the ePub, Sigil or Sony forums.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Eskoe
Eskoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is probably an image PDF, without text. This is common for documents that are multi-column, contain a lot of images, or contain unusual fonts. Nothing you can do about this unless you want to try to use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to convert the picture of text to real text.
I think you might be right. Can you suggest an OCR program that works on large files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
When you converted it using the no images option, the text converted fine (except for the fixed font problem) but there were no images correct?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it doesn with the no images option. It's just a white page with a list of numbers and .jpg. What I meant by the PDF format was that it still opens in the static page of the PDF file, and the text can be enlarged.

Thanks a ton both of you!
Eskoe is offline   Reply With Quote