Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
...and I want a pet dinosaur and a laser gun!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #47
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Audiobooks are also a mostly pointless addition to an e-ink reader. They are handled better on phones/tablets/laptops. If Amazon didn't own Audible and have a vested interest in cramming audiobooks down your throat, the Kindle's audiobook capability wouldn't make sense.
By TTS I mean the ability for the device to read the text which is on-screen, maybe even highlighting the phrases being said. This would be a tremendous help when tired and wanting to lie back and listen; or to learn a language. Immersive reading seems to be popular at the moment.

PocketBook devices do this and have a range of UK and US etc voices. The Touch HD is a device I have seriously considered.

And as for the ports being inlets for water, there could be some way of plugging them when being used in the bath/at the beach.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
By TTS I mean the ability for the device to read the text which is on-screen, maybe even highlighting the phrases being said. This would be a tremendous help when tired and wanting to lie back and listen; or to learn a language. Immersive reading seems to be popular at the moment.

PocketBook devices do this and have a range of UK and US etc voices. The Touch HD is a device I have seriously considered.

And as for the ports being inlets for water, there could be some way of plugging them when being used in the bath/at the beach.
Melt wax in the ports, including the charging port? This might not work in the bath if the water is to hot.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #49
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Melt wax in the ports, including the charging port? This might not work in the bath if the water is to hot.
Apache
I think BookCat meant plugs provided my the manufacturer, such as on the original Kobo H2O.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #50
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think BookCat meant plugs provided my the manufacturer, such as on the original Kobo H2O.
Thanks, that's exactly what I mean.

Wax? Who mentioned anything about wax? Blu Tac usually does the job.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #51
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHistorian76 View Post
I think the market has also achieved stability in large measure because the overwhelmingly dominant player (Amazon) has all but admitted they're just not interested in the e-ink device market anymore.
I think Amazon and Bezos main interest from the start was selling books and Kindles were really just a sales tool to help them sell more books. I don't think it's ever been anything other than that. That's why they sell them at close to their cost. It's also why Kindles don't have the ability to access Dropbox or other sources. Amazon isn't a device manufacturer, per se. They're a book seller who makes their own marketing tools.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #52
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
As someone who makes extensive use of a DIY "immersive reading" approach to assist in learning two different languages, I will say here what I said elsewhere - TTS is VERY suboptimal (to be polite) for this purpose. The artificialities inherent in any machine-generated "speech" are not really a problem for an L1 speaker, but for someone learning a language, they can be a major hindrance. I do a lot of reading of Hindi material accompanied by a human narrator reading the same text, and it helps my comprehension and pronunciation quite a bit. I occasionally use Google Translate to "read" larger blocks of Hindi for which there is no human audio available, and the only gain is in hearing unfamiliar words pronounced. It's much harder to follow, even when the Hindi text Google "reads" is stuff that I've written. In the specific case of language learning TTS != "immersive reading"
Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #53
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
As it happens, I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. It has a water resistance rating of IP68. Comes with a plug for the micro USB port and the card slot. Nothing for the headphone jack.

Although I've never taken mine swimming, here's a video where a German reviewer does just that, filming the entire time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKorDI8jkJw

So it is quite possible to design a device with the specs you desire and make it pretty water resistant.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #54
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
As it happens, I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. It has a water resistance rating of IP68. Comes with a plug for the micro USB port and the card slot. Nothing for the headphone jack.

Although I've never taken mine swimming, here's a video where a German reviewer does just that, filming the entire time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKorDI8jkJw

So it is quite possible to design a device with the specs you desire and make it pretty water resistant.
There is no doubt that it can be done: look at the original Kobo H2O. It's exactly that. BUT there were LOTS of complaints about having to put the plug in and out every time you wanted to charge or connect to a computer etc. That included people who cared about waterproofing and those who didn't but were still stuck dealing with the plug. I don't know what the difference in cost between a plug and sealed device vs HZO but I'd guess HZO was more $, so if they went that way it was likely because they felt it was more important to include the convenience of no plug vs including and SD card.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #55
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
There is no doubt that it can be done: look at the original Kobo H2O. It's exactly that. BUT there were LOTS of complaints about having to put the plug in and out every time you wanted to charge or connect to a computer etc.
Don't know what the plug on the H2O was like, but the plug on my Sony couldn't be easier to pop in and out. Takes no time at all. No tools required. It remains attached to the device, but could easily be removed if one didn't care about waterproofing... And an eink ereader tends to need charging much less frequently than a tablet.

On my Sony, it really is a non issue which I would find it hard to believe that anyone could complain about.

Again, don't know what the situation with the H2O was like so can't speak to that.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #56
BookCat
C L J

So my desirable ereader wasn't the equivalent of wishing for a pet dinosaur and a laser gun!

To those who mocked!!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #57
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So my desirable ereader wasn't the equivalent of wishing for a pet dinosaur and a laser gun!

To those who mocked!!
Wouldn't you rather have a pet Sabretooth Tiger?
Apache
Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #58
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather have a pet Sabretooth Tiger?
Apache
Not if I want to continue living!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #59
Apache
Readaholic

How is a dinosaur any safer?
Brontosaurus: to large. Triceratops: to pointy. Tyrannosaurus: to hungry.
Apache
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
How is a dinosaur any safer?
Brontosaurus: to large. Triceratops: to pointy. Tyrannosaurus: to hungry.
Apache
A canary should be pretty safe.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote