Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 AM   #1
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Changing sideloaded cover

My apologies if I've missed this, I've sent the last 20 minutes looking for the issue here while trying to fix it myself on my device.

I have updated a cover on a book in my Calibre library, one that is sideloaded as a kepub on my Aura H2O2. When I click on the book in my "device" library listing, it shows the updated cover, but when I eject the device, it still shows the old one. I've tried removing the cover, matching the book to the library, and countless "update metadata on device, the old cover persists. What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Send the book to the device again. Kobo devices generate a cover from the book as needed and stores this on the disk. The driver removes the generated cover on the device when the replacement is sent and the device will generate the new when it needs it. But, you might get a default text cover until the memory cache is refreshed.

Or use my Kobo Utilities to send the cover separately.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Send the book to the device again. Kobo devices generate a cover from the book as needed and stores this on the disk. The driver removes the generated cover on the device when the replacement is sent and the device will generate the new when it needs it. But, you might get a default text cover until the memory cache is refreshed.

Or use my Kobo Utilities to send the cover separately.
This was what I tried to do. I tried "upload covers for selected books" (making sure the book was selected), and "remove covers for selected books" followed by "upload covers" and each time, also did "update metadata on device". None of that worked.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I just tried sending the book to the device again. When I ejected the device, I saw "importing new content", but the cover was the same, so I reconnected the device and ran "update metadata" etc again, then ejected. Still no change to the cover.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I just tried sending the book to the device again. When I ejected the device, I saw "importing new content", but the cover was the same, so I reconnected the device and ran "update metadata" etc again, then ejected. Still no change to the cover.
Did you update the cover image internal to the ebook not just in the calibre GUI view? The Modify Epub plugin or Polish are quick way to do this.

Does the old cover persist through a power off/on cycle?

Last edited by DNSB; 01-10-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Fat fingered typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The displayed cover can remain as it is in cache. When the device is restarted, or the cover drops out of the cache, it will be refreshed.

"Update metadata in device library" doesn't update the cover. Just the metadata.

If the cover sending isn't replacing the cover, restart the device and check. If that doesn't work, please run calibre in debug mode, do the problem action for a book and post the log. Hopefully that will tell me what is happening.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Did you update the cover image internal to the ebook not just in the calibre GUI view? The Modify Epub plugin or Polish are quick way to do this.

Does the old cover persist through a power off/on cycle?
Ah, THIS may be the issue. I had a new cover via Calibre's "edit metadata" (hence my assumption that metadata on the device also involved the cover), and thought that was all I needed to do. When I click "open path", the book's folder in my Calibre library it's "cover.jpg" (the only image in the folder) shows the updated cover. I didn't realise there was another step to the process. I will try this first, thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, THIS may be the issue. I had a new cover via Calibre's "edit metadata" (hence my assumption that metadata on the device also involved the cover), and thought that was all I needed to do. When I click "open path", the book's folder in my Calibre library it's "cover.jpg" (the only image in the folder) shows the updated cover. I didn't realise there was another step to the process. I will try this first, thanks
Calibre will update the metadata and attempt to update the cover when sending a book to the device. It won't always work for the cover, it depends on the code in the book. Calibre tries several things, and if it can find the cover image, it will update it. If the book has been Polished or converted, then it will be successful. But, there is some terrible code out there that would be impossible to automatically find a cover.

The question is, do you see the cover when reading the book? If the cover is there on the first page of an epub, that is what the device will use when generating the cover image. For kepubs, it is different, but, the cover is generally on the first page, and if that is updated, then the cover image will be correct if re-generated.