Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 04:48 AM   #1
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 , Pocketbook InkPad 2
Possible to Downgrade JB PW3 5.10.1.1 to 5.9.7?

Happy New Year!
Apologies for posting this thread as it surely explained somewhere in forum. But I'm still not 100 % sure with the answer or exactly how to do it if it is possible and not bricking my device.
So as it should be seen from the title I have jailbroken Paperwhite 3 which is currently running firmware 5.10.1.1 and for some reasons I want to go back to 5.9.7 ( randomly the number of page/time left in ... at the bottom disappears and also font type is changing without my intervention for few pages and then back again).
As my understanding should be possible using Downgrader from NiLuJe's Snapshots.Extracting the downgrader's archive, puting the .bin file from archive in MRPI folder on my Kindle, making "official_update" folder in root Kindle's directory and put Amazon's 5.9.7 update there. Please tell me if I'm right or wrong?
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:28 AM   #2
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your wrong.

Inside of the distribution archive you will find a file with the name:
YOU_SHOULD_READ_THIS_FIRST.txt
So read its contents.

Now with that content in mind, a key question:
Is your device running a firmware version >= 5.6 (read that as "greater than or equal to")?
Hint: Answer is yes.

So re-read the last sentence of the *.txt file given above.
Bend over.

Last edited by knc1; 01-01-2019 at 05:37 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
doctorat

Thank you! I've written this, but probably of my very basic English or missing sense of humor/irony I haven't taken the words "far less useful" for "not working" but for "might or might not" work.
So no more bending over, I'll keep 5.10.1.1 in my ...
Old 01-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorat View Post
Thank you! I've written this, but probably of my very basic English or missing sense of humor/irony I haven't taken the words "far less useful" for "not working" but for "might or might not" work.
So no more bending over, I'll keep 5.10.1.1 in my ...
Thank Amazon, they made it difficult on purpose.

Basic English?
Sorry, I did not realize that.

The downgrade utility you found is for very old firmware versions.
That utility is what will not work in your case.

You can downgrade your device since you have it jail broken.
You have to do all of the steps yourself.
We don't have a utility for the newer firmware versions.

There should be a set of directions already written, just not automated.

Search thread titles for keywords, such as: "downgrade"
See the little search box in the upper right corner of the page?
Leave the text box empty, press the search button.
This site will give you the page for its advanced search function.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Unless I fudged that up, it should also tellingly refuse to run on unsupported FW versions anyway .

EDIT: Yuuup, dreamed that last one up, but, hey, I can fix it !

EDIT²: Nerfed it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-01-2019 at 02:27 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 AM   #6
doctorat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thank Amazon, they made it difficult on purpose
Come on, knc1, don't be so bad tempered! I am thanking you for making the effort to answer my stupid and asked many times before question. So, Thanks again!
Again, I've used search engine before but the closest to understandable explained set of directions I could find is this. But I've never used USB nework and SSH before nor I have some skills in Linux.So I'm a little bit afraid to proceed without further explanations.
Anyway I don't really need to downgrade,the bugs I've encountered are not so annoying. I've started this thread because I like to "fiddle" with my devices and to learn something new.

@NiLuJe I feel so stupid and obliged now to make you change the file because of me!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday

That link is probably the most complete one that is posted.

But as you have read into it, it is best suited for someone with a lot of Kindle specific experience.