Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 03:23 AM   #1
Allerwertester
Allerwertester began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Author annotations

Hi there!

I would very much like to add notes about book titles, etc. of an author at his/her entry in Calibre. Do you guys do stuff like this and how? Is there propably a hidden Calibre feature I haven't found yet or a plug-in for something like that?

At the moment I use a text editor for writing down my wish list of books from this author and save it on my computer, but rather would like to have this handled within Calibre.

Thanks for your time!
Allerwertester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:36 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I maintain a separate 'library' for Authors, in this library each author has a single 'book title' place holder containing a cover.jpg and a metadata.opf file. All the data is in the database.

I use the calibre:// URL scheme to link items in the Authors library to items in the Books Library and vice-versa. This is done via the Link field in Manage Authors -- specifically:

In the Authors library the Author Link field contains a link of the form:

Code:
calibre://search/_hex_-<books-library>?eq=<blah blah book>
When the Author Name in the Authors Details panel is clicked the list of books by that Author in the Books library will show.

In the Books library the Author Link field contains a link of the form:

Code:
calibre://show-book/_hex_-<authors-library>/NNNN)
When the Author Name in the Books Details panel is clicked the record of the Author in the Authors library will show.

The calibre:// links can be obtained from calibre itself, the user does have to formulate them.

Prior to Kovid's provision of the calibre:// URL scheme I used various methods, some of which are described here.

For me at least what I've been able to do using the calibre URL scheme is far superior to the other schemes I came up with.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-14-2022 at 03:22 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #3
Allerwertester

Thankes BetterRed!

That's actual a good idea, to add some place holders for books. Never thought of that kind of workaround. So it was a good idea to open a thread here after all. Adding "fake" books it is!

All the best for 2022!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Add:empty books
Has many uses. I use it for my Wishlist, Document missing series titles (or note that it is now contained IN xyz Omnibus/collection).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:10 AM   #5
Allerwertester

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Add:empty books
Thanks! I use Calibre for quite some time, came across this menu entry, but never though about it. I did the same with an empty text file putting my wish list in the comment section. With an empty book I can skip creating a text file. Sweet!
Advert