Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #46
amilokindle
amilokindle began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
hi sorry for such a newbie question, but how can I install a non-terminal based text editor in Alpine without it breaking the installation? I tried to install gedit etc from the Alpine terminal but installation failed and broke Alpine from launching.
amilokindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #47
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
After jailbreaking is now possible, I was able to test Alpine Linux on my KOA2. Runs better than expected. �� Thank you.
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #48
tebra
tebra began at the beginning.

Device: NST - Icarus Illumina
Hi,
Is this working on jailbreak PW4 ?
tebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #49
fisummer
fisummer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
i really like your work,thanks for sharing
fisummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:44 AM   #50
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
Dear @schuhumi,

After a lot of holding it off, I've recently found some time and tried this on my Kindle. It's a Kindle 7th gen (KT2) with a 160 dpi E Ink Pearl.
The interface is not at all usable, nor are programs when opened using a SSH terminal.
Any idea how to scale it down a little?Attachment 174192
It kinda works on KT1 but it has this same issue
note that I don't care how impractical it is on the OG kindle touch I just wanna toy with it
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2021, 01:27 AM   #51
rabe3ab
Enthusiast
rabe3ab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
How can i install koreader inside alpine linux so i don't have to log out each time i want to read a book
rabe3ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:02 AM   #52
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
Reading web pages with Kindle is again a worthy experience, it's a prodigy, thank you very much. However, this does not exempt Amazon from restoring the functionality of the stock browser, which Amazon in devices following the Kindle Keyboard has clearly worsened. The ability to read texts of the websites in a decent way is definitely one of the functions that the Kindle must have of its own, without forcing the user to switch between operating systems, and not just "experimentally".

Last edited by Eures; 01-02-2022 at 04:41 AM.
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:28 AM   #53
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
And is it possible to install Alpine Linux without a system from Amazon? Just Alpine itself on all available flash memory.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #54
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
And is it possible to install Alpine Linux without a system from Amazon? Just Alpine itself on all available flash memory.
Yes and no - it's possible to flash Alpine to main but for it to be vaguely functional you'd need to:
  • Switch to serial console from the default to /dev/ttymxc0
  • Copy over a bunch of the udev rules and firmware binaries to handle tasks like bringing the WiFi hardware up and loading a non-terrible waveform
  • Some means of handling screen refreshes to allow doing anything useful with the device

The last one can be handled with fbink-xdamage but the responsiveness using that is much poorer than on a stock firmware using Amazon's library (LIGL?).

Honestly, if there was a better way of handling screen refreshes I'd have done a proper Alpine port by now.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:28 AM   #55
sibbl
sibbl began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW2, Voyage
I know I'm a bit late to the party but just set this up on my PW3 and it works like a charm.

However, I wonder whether it's possible to access the lipc helper utilities from the Kindle when inside the Alpine bash. I.e. I'd like to control the brightness and some other things using the lipc tools. Mounting the bin directory to the Alpine partition of course didn't work right away.

I'm currently thinking about SSH'ing from the Alpine system to the Kindle system but I think there has to be a more clever way. I also came across some lipc reverse engineering stuff which could be recompiled for Alpine but even then I'm not sure if this is supposed to work.

Thanks for any hints in advance!
sibbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #56
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbl View Post
I know I'm a bit late to the party but just set this up on my PW3 and it works like a charm.

However, I wonder whether it's possible to access the lipc helper utilities from the Kindle when inside the Alpine bash. I.e. I'd like to control the brightness and some other things using the lipc tools. Mounting the bin directory to the Alpine partition of course didn't work right away.

I'm currently thinking about SSH'ing from the Alpine system to the Kindle system but I think there has to be a more clever way. I also came across some lipc reverse engineering stuff which could be recompiled for Alpine but even then I'm not sure if this is supposed to work.

Thanks for any hints in advance!
SSH is a good option (with keys already set up so you don't have to enter any password). You might also want to try to set up a named pipe and put it in the chroot, then run a daemon on the outside that runs actions based on commands sent via the named pipe.
Look at my ibxd implementation for my InkBox OS project here for an example: https://github.com/Kobo-InkBox/rootf...tc/init.d/ibxd
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:20 AM   #57
XTxiaoting14332
XTxiaoting14332 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuhumi View Post
Update

High RES images + slightly updated instructions

New features:
  • Chromium now supports Android-like scrolling (drag finger), back/forward/reload gestures, long press for context click, mobile user agent and is overall much faster (also with javascript)
  • Now featuring Mate Desktop Environment, which fixes automatic workspace resizing with Onboard
  • There's a right-click feature besides the up- and down-arrows in the bottom bar
  • Battery current display (This might not yet work on models other than PW3, please file a bug report!)
  • New set of default applications, that fit better on the screen in portrait mode
  • alpine.sh can now be used in multiple terminals at once, as it recognizes when Alpine is mounted already and doesn't do it again. BE CAREFUL to leave Alpine in the session that mounted it (thus the first one) as last, as this one will do the umounts as well (it will be the alpine service in most use cases)
  • Alpine now logs into /mnt/us/alpine.log automatically

Fixed Bugs:
  • Logging out now works properly and returns to the default kindle gui just fine
  • Used loops are now disassociated correctly, which means 1. They don't run out after 16 2. When you delete alpine.ext3 the corresponding storage space gets actually freed
  • Workspace resizes when Onboard shows/disappears

Known Bugs: No onscreen keyboard on the lockscreen (don't lock! You can kill it through ssh though. Or reboot)
I think that xfce4 is better than mate
XTxiaoting14332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:02 PM   #58
Hightree
Enthusiast
Hightree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5
It works out of the box on PW5.

Is there a shell command or an app to adjust brightness/warmness?
Hightree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #59
castipo
castipo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic (KT5) 5.16.2.1.1
how to uninstall that all stuff
castipo is offline   Reply With Quote